MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:42 AM   #76
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

You guys are lucky. Usually mine are rotting meat.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 01:35 AM   #77
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

so if we can cook a brisket so close to the coals without it burning, does this change the 24'' rule of thumb of the UDS? or does the ability to cook it close have more to do with the verticality of the meat on the PBC? I feel like if you put a horizontal brisket 10 or 15 inches from the coals, it will burn to oblivion. I guess this is the beauty of the PBC?
Heisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #78
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberger View Post
so if we can cook a brisket so close to the coals without it burning, does this change the 24'' rule of thumb of the UDS? or does the ability to cook it close have more to do with the verticality of the meat on the PBC? I feel like if you put a horizontal brisket 10 or 15 inches from the coals, it will burn to oblivion. I guess this is the beauty of the PBC?
I would venture to say you are absolutely right!!!!!. Heck the end of that brisket was MUCH closer than even 4 inches, it was fine.... nothing on the whole brisket that I would not be able to eat or even felt burned. I figured one inch of burned meat was no big deal if the rest was good.... but there was nothing burned.

We all know if we made a rack where the brisket was 4 inches off the coals it would burn..

but wait....I am thinking

you know... if you look back at the ribs video you can see chunks of wood that are still "wood color" even 4 hours into the burn... so maybe the coal bed is not as hot as we think.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #79
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
I would venture to say you are absolutely right!!!!!. Heck the end of that brisket was MUCH closer than even 4 inches, it was fine.... nothing on the whole brisket that I would not be able to eat or even felt burned. I figured one inch of burned meat was no big deal if the rest was good.... but there was nothing burned.

We all know if we made a rack where the brisket was 4 inches off the coals it would burn..

but wait....I am thinking

you know... if you look back at the ribs video you can see chunks of wood that are still "wood color" even 4 hours into the burn... so maybe the coal bed is not as hot as we think.
Also anything that drips out or runs off the meat flows downward which might help balance out the temperature ?? Sort of a built in cooling system :-).

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #80
rifraf
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbird View Post
Also anything that drips out or runs off the meat flows downward which might help balance out the temperature ?? Sort of a built in cooling system :-).

Bill

I was just about to say something about that.

All the juices are running down the sides and collecting at the tip close to the coals before they drip off helping to keep the meat cool enough not to burn.

If we would but a grate that close the juices would not have the same effect.

Unless a person would fabricate a brisket rack to be able to stand the brisket on end!! LOL

Old 04-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #81
creekwalker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbird View Post

Bill
Brilliant! It could be The Stall, becoming greater and greater as the juices slide down the meat, giving more and more evaporative cooling. (Actually not The Stall, but a stall, happening continuously during the cook.) And maybe it's also, as Pitmaster T suggests, because the fire is not as hot as people think.

By the way, has anyone reported making measurements of temperatures just a little ways above the fire in barrel cookers? I've read the first 165 pages of the big UDS thread, a pittance, (!) along with a few of the last pages, and such a thing could have been reported there, but if so I have forgotten it. (And somehow didn't have the wit to include it in my notes.)
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #82
rifraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekwalker View Post
By the way, has anyone reported making measurements of temperatures just a little ways above the fire in barrel cookers? I've read the first 165 pages of the big UDS thread, a pittance, (!) along with a few of the last pages, and such a thing could have been reported there, but if so I have forgotten it. (And somehow didn't have the wit to include it in my notes.)

No but i have been thinking about trying it my next cook this weekend

Old 04-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #83
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekwalker View Post

Great idea... honestly I've never put my hand above the firebox of my UDS running at 250. I've only ever felt hot coals in an open grilling type situation where the goal is to get em screaming hot>

Rifraf, please do this and report your results! With the PBC burning at its default temp of around 275, the coals are much more subdued and maybe the heat isn't as hot as we think it is. Later on in the cook it will probably be even cooler with all the drippings

Old 04-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #84
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberger View Post
With the PBC burning at its default temp of around 275, the coals are much more subdued and maybe the heat isn't as hot as we think it is. Later on in the cook it will probably be even cooler with all the drippings
I believe the combination of both to be true. I hung these wings in my extended Smokey Joe and the blackened bottoms were only 3" above the live coals. I ran the cooker at 325F, measured near the top.
Despite the blackened bottoms and being so close to the coals, those bottom wings were not overcooked.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #85
creekwalker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
No but i have been thinking about trying it my next cook this weekend
Thanks, rifraf, look forward to hearing the result if you do.
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #86
rifraf

Does any one know what the temp range is on the ET-73 Smoker Probe and the
ET-73 Food Probes??? Just curious because I can't seem to find specs on them anywhere.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #87
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Next time I hang ribs I'll take my infrared thermometer and see if I can get a sensible reading off the ribs or the smoker body itself just above the coals. Probably not as accurate as dangling a wired probe all the way down, which I can also do. I'm also curious to find this out myself.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #88
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Next time I hang ribs I'll take my infrared thermometer and see if I can get a sensible reading off the ribs or the smoker body itself just above the coals. Probably not as accurate as dangling a wired probe all the way down, which I can also do. I'm also curious to find this out myself.

So??????????????????????

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #89
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

Bump. I thought we were on to something there...

Old 07-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #90
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Well, ended up doing a briskie in the PBC not long after this thread and gotta say I was very pleased with the results. Honestly, I'm not going to think about it much anymore. It just works!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&highlight=PBC
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote