MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
northern smokey
Knows what a fatty is.

Default ranch style beans

for some reason these beans keep popping up on threads and recipes i have been looking at. i googled them and it seems these are very much loved and enjoyed. i have been wanting to try them but i live in the far north of canada and shipping them would be a bit much. i have found a bloggers site for a recipe that i will be trying. so i am asking if the brethren can look at the recipe amd tell me if this is what i am looking for or if there is anything i need to add that is not in there.
http://homesicktexan.blogspot.ca/201...ns-recipe.html
thank you
northern smokey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

That gal hails from my area and her stuff is spot on my recipe is similar and has 1 tsp granulated garlic.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

This doesn't really answer your questions, but I got her book last year, and have really enjoyed the recipes I've tried. Lots of good stuff in there!
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
northern smokey
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
That gal hails from my area and her stuff is spot on my recipe is similar and has 1 tsp granulated garlic.
is this in addition to the fresh garlic or in place of
northern smokey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
long haired hippie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

As a homesick Texan, I feel I must forward the source. Shipping ain't much. You might also check shipping costs/availability at H.E.B., the largest grocery chain in Texas.
http://www.conagrafoods.com/consumer...ge=ranch_style
http://www.heb.com/home/home.jsp%3bjsessionid=21D087AEF024C655F8971532A620 3E75.dEleIgOroGManki-iM5P-Bag7siTC
long haired hippie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
long haired hippie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Erik

P.S
Some Wal-Marts carry Ranch Style Beans up here-
long haired hippie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern smokey View Post
for some reason these beans keep popping up on threads and recipes i have been looking at. i googled them and it seems these are very much loved and enjoyed. i have been wanting to try them but i live in the far north of canada and shipping them would be a bit much. i have found a bloggers site for a recipe that i will be trying. so i am asking if the brethren can look at the recipe amd tell me if this is what i am looking for or if there is anything i need to add that is not in there.
http://homesicktexan.blogspot.ca/201...ns-recipe.html
thank you
To add to my above post... I happened to have some pintos I'd soaked over night, already in the crock pot to go with the brisket I'm working on today. I did just have some bacon in there, chicken broth, and some Fiesta Pinto Seasoning in the pot.

Now, I went and tweaked them a bit riffing off Fain's recipe. Jazzed em up with 3 anchos, 1 chipotle, and 5 cloves of garlic. Toasted the anchos and chipotle quickly in my iron skillet, let them soak a bit in some water in the skillet. Then made a puree of the peppers and garlic, and threw it in the pot with some Mexican oregano and a shot of apple cider vinegar. I figure the Fiesta Seasoning covers the other spices,or at least comes close according to the label. Dang, that was just what they needed!

Beans still have a way to go, but wow that smells good. How long till dinner?

I'll let you know how close to Ranch Style I come.

SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
Westexbbq

I know Lisa Fain as well and even have her book; it is a righteous read in my opinion. I tried the recipe for ranch style beans and thought they turned out real good, pretty darn close to the originals "out of the can".
Give em a try and enjoy. (basic ranch style beans are just good pintos swimming in a chili sauce.....)
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeFan View Post
To add to my above post... I happened to have some pintos I'd soaked over night, already in the crock pot to go with the brisket I'm working on today. I did just have some bacon in there, chicken broth, and some Fiesta Pinto Seasoning in the pot.

Now, I went and tweaked them a bit riffing off Fain's recipe. Jazzed em up with 3 anchos, 1 chipotle, and 5 cloves of garlic. Toasted the anchos and chipotle quickly in my iron skillet, let them soak a bit in some water in the skillet. Then made a puree of the peppers and garlic, and threw it in the pot with some Mexican oregano and a shot of apple cider vinegar. I figure the Fiesta Seasoning covers the other spices,or at least comes close according to the label. Dang, that was just what they needed!

Beans still have a way to go, but wow that smells good. How long till dinner?

I'll let you know how close to Ranch Style I come.

That pic made me smile and hungry I have some fresh tortillas and some ice cold Shinners

Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
Westexbbq

My zip code is beyond the 100 mile limit from a HEB (probably more like 2,000) so I guess it helps to have family in Texas.
Ditto on the tortillas and Shiner!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trim 1.jpg (38.8 KB, 333 views)
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
STCL01
On the road to being a farker

I never thought about not being able to go the the store and buy Ranch Style Beans!!! The horror!
STCL01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
Jaspaq
Found some matches.

I can not imagine life without ranch style beans
Jaspaq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by long haired hippie View Post
As a homesick Texan, I feel I must forward the source. Shipping ain't much. You might also check shipping costs/availability at H.E.B., the largest grocery chain in Texas.
http://www.conagrafoods.com/consumer...ge=ranch_style
http://www.heb.com/home/home.jsp%3bj...-iM5P-Bag7siTC
there were two thing my fam sent me when i was in connecticut. ft worth ranch style beans and big red soda

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #14
Boshizzle

And Texans don't like chili with beans in it? Pahleeze! Add some ground beef to those beans and you got chili with beans.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #15
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I love beans in my chili. Bred in Texas, born in Texas. Mother was born in New Mexico though. Raised in Mexico for most of her life.