Question on "diffuser" plate in a UDS smoker.

MrOneEyedBoh

Knows what a fatty is.
Im not sure if that is the correct terminology. But none the less...

1) Does a diffuser ( think plate with holes in it ) have to be a cetain height from the fire? Can I put it on my lower rack bolts ( where the lower rack would normally sit ) and still cook ok on the upper rack?

2) Can I use an aluminum pizza pan with holes drilled in it?

3) Will it extend cook times from loss of direct heat?

4) the weber 22" replacement grates that we all use for the UDS' are a diameter of 21" roughly. Does the diffuser have to be THAT big, or is it better to go with something smaller to let heat pass around the edges.

I plan on drilling holes in it to let heat through but to not let 100% of the fat drip on the fire. Im sure 90% will still reach the fire, but not all of it.

In my mini WSM I use a 12" cake pan and there's roughly an inch around it. Don't worry about drilling holes yet, you'll have no problem with heat "getting through" and you might find you like having a grease pan. If not you can always drill it out later.

Quick answers:
1) No
2)Yes
3)Yes, sorta
4)No

Longer discussion:
Usage of a diffuser is still well debated and a personal preference. Many people swear by them and others see no need. Its all up to you and how you want the cook to go. One good way to test a diffuser is to do the biscuit test where you place biscuit dough at different spots on the rack and see how they cook and if the heat is distributed evenly. Personally, I have not really used a diffuser on cooks aside from when I do a whole chicken I will place an aluminum pan on the lower rack beneath the chicken. If you search the site for the term "diffuser" I am sure you will find several threads on the subject.

Ok thanks. I think I'll get one just to try it out. Its only a few bucks.

I seen someone on here that drilled a crazy pattern into theirs to help with the heat distrubution. I think Im going to go that route too.

Few a few bucks, no loss.

I use a diffuser on all of my UDS smokes and I don't have a need or use for a water pan.

The diffuser provides for good heat distribution and also protects you against flare-ups if you pull the lid for any length of time (rotating racks, ribs, etc.).

I use a diffuser on all of my UDS smokes and I don't have a need or use for a water pan.

The diffuser provides for good heat distribution and also protects you against flare-ups if you pull the lid for any length of time (rotating racks, ribs, etc.).
I agree :thumb: I use an 18" pizza pan and it collects the moisture, grease, ect

Here's what I started using. It definitely made a difference on temp control when I open the lid. No temp spikes. It is just a flattened stainless grilling wok that I got on sale
heatdiffuser.jpg

I bought a perferated (sp?) pizza pan for my UDS at Goodwill for $3 last year. Works great! If you have a 2nd hand store in your vicinity, its worth checking out.

Here's what I started using. It definitely made a difference on temp control when I open the lid. No temp spikes. It is just a flattened stainless grilling wok that I got on sale
heatdiffuser.jpg

I can see how that could help diffuse the heat and smoke but I have to question how it prevents temp spikes. When you open the lid, there is still plenty of air getting to the coals, correct? I guess it could slow the heat coming from the newly "stoked" coals a bit.

Also, are you measuring temps only with the side thermo in the pic or at the center as well?

FYI, below is my score from a local salvation army. $4.23 total and I can run some tests. I think that black one might do well.

IMAG0088.jpg

Yeah yeah yeah. If only we all had access to CNC machines :icon_smile_tongue:

Once you get the design set and take orders, I will be first in line.

This is it, copy it if you llike. I have it on 5 BUFORD's so far, working great. It's too expensive to sell using the water jet cutter. I'll probably have all my future diffusers cut with a plasma from here on out.

SmokerKing,
I have access to a water jet. Can I get a copy of the file? Also what gauge steel/SS/ etc did you use?

Thanks!!

Also how much more fuel have you noticed is being used? What is the height from the top of the basket?

Back