DIY Smoker

JackBauer24

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
After coming across the Smoke Daddy cold smoker I started thinking about making my own. After finding a variety of different kinds I settled on the top mounted Venturi style. I have the build to a point where I could try it out.

The cost of large diameter pipe is so high. So I found an alternative: an old fire extinguisher. This one is no longer putting out any fires!
It has a wire mesh tube 7"h X 4"dia, top and bottom cap that are removable. They are held in by 3 screws at the bottom. There is a long screw that is attached to the bottom screen and the bottom cap 4"h is threaded to adj. up or down this screw. I need to get alignment dowels for the bottom cap so that it can close properly and regulate the fresh air.

The garage door and secondary door are wide open (fyi). After filling it with about 5-6 handfuls of chips, turning on the 4 port air pump I let it fly full throttle to clean out the pipes. I was amazed by the amount of creosote that immediately started dripping out the exit pipe. I was expecting to find a chamber full of ashes as I thought creosote was a sign of an imperfect burn. However much to my surprise the bottom cap had only a few ashes 1/8" and the chamber was completely empty!! Though the inside was completely caked with black goop. I measured the temp to be 470 deg near the wood chips that were lit; 220 deg at the "t"; 112 smoke at the exit. The bottom cap was also around 350-400, which made it very hard to adjust once it was going.

Any tips of reducing the amount of creosote? Also does anyone use a secondary tube/chamber for the smoke to cool and let the creosote condense before sending it on to the food? Kind of like on Moonshiners where they send it through a spiral in water to cool it down.

Attachments

• IMAG0264.jpg
    IMAG0264.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMAG0262.jpg
    IMAG0262.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Back