MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #8341
Arat
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Gettin' ready to do my intakes. Anybody ever used these step bits from Harbor Freight? If so... how'd they do?

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...lls-96275.html
Arat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 02:09 AM   #8342
fball1208
Knows what a fatty is.

Ive used them, Worked to drill out my holes dont know if they have much life left but havent used them since
fball1208 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 03:57 AM   #8343
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb1216 View Post
cut the top off your last beer can you drank while smokin and put it over the stack
You can also use the top to a spray paint can
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #8344
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
For those who skipped the meat of this novel, do yourself a favor. Do a search for "Thirdeye Hoe Scoop". Aids in cleanup
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...18&postcount=3
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #8345
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arat View Post
Gettin' ready to do my intakes. Anybody ever used these step bits from Harbor Freight? If so... how'd they do?

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...lls-96275.html
I've done three stainless drums and one steel one- they're still working. SLOW RPM and a little oil helps a lot.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:11 AM   #8346
Arat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
I've done three stainless drums and one steel one- they're still working. SLOW RPM and a little oil helps a lot.
Thanks. They're ordered. Should be getting the UDS completed next week. Can't wait

Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #8347
Arat

Default Upside down?

Been looking and I've noticed that a lot of folks use an open top drum upside down with a kettle lid on top. Looks like it would be good for easy access to the bottom for cleaning occasionally. My only concern is does grease leak out the bottom?

Old 07-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #8348
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arat View Post
Been looking and I've noticed that a lot of folks use an open top drum upside down with a kettle lid on top. Looks like it would be good for easy access to the bottom for cleaning occasionally. My only concern is does grease leak out the bottom?
I've asked this before when I was looking for a drum.
It's not for easy access, it's just that the lid fits the other end and not on the open end with the lock band.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #8349
Stlbbqstore
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
Some folks have been asken me to show how I built my racks so here are some more picts.

You can get away with bolts on just one rack but I like the ability to swap out the racks mid cook top for bottom etc. I do some small catering gigs where I cook 3 shoulders per rack. The bottom rack would get done about 3 hrs sooner so now I swap halfway when I foil. The racks can be lifted out with ease. The bolts let the racks act as a stand/table with meat on the racks. I can quickly pull the racks and meat out and close the lid back up. I'll foil than swap rack positions. Having two levels of support bolts (bolted through the drum) doesn't allow for this since your bottom rack will get hung up on the top bolts. I also put my thermometer below the bottom rack. It again is just for looks. It runs about 40 degrees cooler at that level than the center of the top rack.

Here I have a third rack that sits on the top rack. This will allow me to cook two to three racks of spares (St Louis) Rib tips go on the bottom rack. We cook 4 racks for competitions and this method allows me to cook em flat without a rib rack. I also foil ribs so again they can lay flat two racks per rack. This also works for chicken pieces.

Here I have my third rack (rib rack)

I used pure non plated steel bolts. Hardware total for two racks $5. Stanless steel will set you back $40. These bolts are coated with oil when you buy em to prevent rust. I got mine at Gnahl Lumber (So Cal). My rack bolts that go through the drum are stainless and all other hardware is stainless.

I figured someone would ask about my basket set up so here are some picts. I also picked up a 2x20 aluminum cake pan at a local bake shop. You can also find em online. I’ve seen people use galvanized oil pans but that has led, and I’m kind of against my kids growing a tail. I used two kettle coal grates at 90 degrees. This is to hold lump better. If ya use briquettes I don’t think it’s necessary. I also have a container of used deep fry oil and a paint brush. I paint all metal after each cook with a coat of oil to keep the rust off.

http://cooksdream.com/store/llprd202.html

This has deffinatly become an addiction. What I love most is scoring higher than folks on $8000 cookers. These little things turn out (in my opinion) the best bbq. Thanks for viewing and sharing your's too. Most of all have fun!

Thanks Mike W

Here is my version of your leg design.
Thanks for the great idea.

This is all welded stainless steel done by my B-I-L

Two racks with 6" legs and one rack with 4-1/2" legs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040581.jpg (66.0 KB, 818 views)
File Type: jpg P1040587.jpg (121.2 KB, 824 views)
[COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Authorized Dealer[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] for Yoder Smokers /RipTangle Smokers / Humphrey's Smokers / Backwoods Smokers / Shirley Fab / T&K Smokers / Gateway Drum Smokers /Meadow Creek / Camp Chef / Alfa Ovens / Green Mountain Grills / Kamado Joe / Memphis Grills / PK Grills / Blaze Gas Grills / Pit Barrel Cooker
[COLOR="Black"][B]Visit our Website[/B][/COLOR] - [URL="http://www.stlbbqstore.com"]www.stlbbqstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR="Black"][B]Like us on Facebook[/B] - [/COLOR][URL="https://[URL="http://www.stlbbqstore.com"]www.facebook.com/stlbbqstore[/URL]

Last edited by Stlbbqstore; 07-31-2011 at 08:59 PM..
Stlbbqstore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #8350
soapy_junk

Default drum

so i found a local hardware store / mom and pop shop.. they have used drums.. open and closed top.. and no liners..

i would be getting one of the open top ones.. but coming from a store w/ no liner would they still need to be burned out?..

what would would be needed to be done for seasoning it..

thanks
soapy_junk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #8351
chico4missions

Default Weber bottom

???? Anybody able to use the bottom of a Weber for a drum lid? I've now got 3 or 4 laying around from other builds & it'd be awesome to use them for more UDS. ????

THANKS!
chico4missions is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #8352
thoraudio
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapy_junk View Post
so i found a local hardware store / mom and pop shop.. they have used drums.. open and closed top.. and no liners..

i would be getting one of the open top ones.. but coming from a store w/ no liner would they still need to be burned out?..

what would would be needed to be done for seasoning it..

thanks
burn it to get rid of the residuals of whatever was stored in the drum.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #8353
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico4missions View Post
???? Anybody able to use the bottom of a Weber for a drum lid? I've now got 3 or 4 laying around from other builds & it'd be awesome to use them for more UDS. ????

THANKS!
Yes, i have.

First,my drum was an open head drum,having that large roll bead. The 22.5" weber lid did not fit. A lot of people will flatten out the lid flange ,locating and clamping said lid to drum and and reshaping (hammering)to fit the drum.

I removed the rubber seal from the lid that came with my drum and set it in place. Put tne bottom section of the weber grill on the lid and it almost fit. After flattening (hammering) the rolled edge on the kettle and checking the fit, it came out perfectly. I then scribed a circle on the drums lid to match the inside diameter of the kettle base to be cut out.

My brother helped me tack weld the pieces together and it came out great. Ground through the tack welds that held the metal cups for the legs to get rid of them and reworked the 3 daisy wheels.

Will take some pics later and post them.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #8354
Rhema316
Found some matches.

Would it be possible to get the dimensions for this please?

Thank you .

Jim
Rhema316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #8355
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

Here are some pics of how i made the bottom of a 22.5" weber kettle the domed lid for my UDS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8010153.jpg (409.9 KB, 792 views)
File Type: jpg P8010154.jpg (356.2 KB, 794 views)

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110

Last edited by woodbutcher1; 08-28-2011 at 07:06 PM..
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker