MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #61
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

My mistake. We've adjusted the height so that we can cook from the ground without climbing on the trailer or using a platform.
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #62
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

You'll be happy you did!!! I have to climb on my trailer to load and unload it. It get's old quick!
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #63
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Oh yeah. We made sure we saved as much space for storage etc and placed it so that we could cook from the ground.

And just a small update on the electrical dilemma. The 15amp outlet will be replaced with a 20amp outlet and rewired with 12-2 (w/ ground). It will be a dedicated circuit. The breaker is a 20amp ground fault. The outlet will be about 16 inches away from the panel. This should make things go more smoothly (concerning time). Dad's an HVAC service tech and knew about the problems. Already planned on fixing them so we should be good to go this weekend. We should have a decent amount of progress to report this weekend. Stay in touch guys!
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #64
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Good to hear. I think you'll be much happier not having to stop every couple of minutes!!! Looking forward to seeing the progress!!!
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #65
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

It certainly looks like a good build. The trailer mods look strong enuff to carry the load. I need to reference this build when I get to the firebox on mine. I'm still setting back funds for the build. I like the looks of yours.
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #66
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

This is for you Mojo! A firebox update... It's almost finished! The door/vents and outer cover on the outer box is all that is left. We are using mineral board instead of a ceramic wool blanket..the mineral board is MUCH cheaper and still rated at 1600degrees..Our fires won't even get that hot so we saved some money and went with the mineral board. Here's where it's at so far:

There you have it...a nearly completed firebox.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #67
kihrer
Full Fledged Farker

^^^^ Very nice looking insulated firebox!

12ft competition trailer
Jambo 48 "Bo Diddley"
heavily modified SnP "Chickenator"
[COLOR=Red]Red[COLOR=Black] and [COLOR=Blue]Blue[COLOR=Black] Super fast [/COLOR][/COLOR]Thermapens[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
kihrer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #68
amv81
Full Fledged Farker

Looks like a good start, can't wait to see it finished. This gives me some inspiration to build my own.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #69
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

Nie job, can't wait to see the next steps.
Weber Jumbo Joe "AH" - Black
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Smoky Joe "F"- Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Genesis - Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Go-Anywhere - Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]UDS - which surprisingly is not black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Smoker[/FONT]
DaveMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #70
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks, gents. I'm posting the progress as we make it.. Keep checking back; I should have more updates this weekend!

Old 03-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #71
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

That firebox made my heart race a little - you'll be able to cook a brisket with a match in that thing...well almost anyway....
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #72
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
That firebox made my heart race a little - you'll be able to cook a brisket with a match in that thing...well almost anyway....

Heard that!! In the dead of winter no less !!

Old 03-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #73
likeadeere
is one Smokin' Farker

where do you find that mineral board at? I might have to get me some of that!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #74
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

From industrial insulators, guys that insulate boilers and the like. You could probably find someone in the phone book, look under insulation or insulators.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #75
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Okay..so we made a little progress today.. Hopefully this will be enough to hold everyone over until next weekend!

We took the trailer apart again to finish coating it with POR15. We are still going to paint everything, but we wanted to eliminate future rust issues.

This is a shot of the chamber standing upright just to show its length.

We got the trailer taped off so we could begin cutting the doors. Didn't have painter's tape and didn't want to buy it, so we used metal tape.

Dad standing next to the trailer.

A full frontal of the chamber.

Here are a couple of close-up angle shots of the chamber.

Here are a few more shots of the nearly finished firebox. This is my favorite part so far.

Hopefully, we will get the firebox mounted and maybe get some doors on..we are also going to be adding storage, a grill, and MAYBE a sink... I still want to add a stereo! We'll just have to wait and see how far we get.

Thanks for following, guys!

Tags
jambo clone, offset build, Offset smoker build, smoker build, smoker clone build