MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Diesel
On the road to being a farker

Default Cook time for a 20lb fresh ham in a UDS

Hey All, Trying to get a sense of the cook time need for this ham. I would like it to be ready for 6pm Christmas eve for dinner with the family. If Im thinking this right I should be starting this tonight around midnight right? Temp is going to be around 225 to 250. Im cooking it like a boston butt since I didnt have time to cure it.
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Hey All, Trying to get a sense of the cook time need for this ham. I would like it to be ready for 6pm Christmas eve for dinner with the family. If Im thinking this right I should be starting this tonight around midnight right? Temp is going to be around 225 to 250. Im cooking it like a boston butt since I didnt have time to cure it.
I am sure you know but, for those who do not, Keep in mind the terminology used above... A fresh ham is simply a pork roast. It does not become a "smoked" or "cured" ham like we would buy from the butcher or store unless it is cured. You will notice Diesel said he did not have time to cure it.

Yes you would cook as a butt, allowing about 1.5 hours per pound. But the most important guide to judging when it is done would be the internal temperature.

For slicing I would be at 175 degree internally before foiling and allowing to rest in the insulated cooler.

I have also smoked to an internal temp of 160 and finished in the oven in a covered roaster to keep the meat very moist. You can also throw your root vegetables in at the same time so they are done at the same time as the pork roast.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas .......
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote