Corn On The Corn - Smoker or Grill ??

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Granite City, Illinois (Near St. Louis "GO CARDS")
I have never cooked COTC on the grill before or on a smoker. I would like you opinion, if you have tried it before. I have about 24 ears to cook.

I saw a recipe on here where you remove the silk and rub on EVOO and pepper, leave the husk wrapped around it and smoke for 2 hours at 225.

Well I'm a newbie round here, but roasting corn husk and all over charcoal is the only way my familys ever done it. We soak the corn in water for several hours (all day) precook, one little thing we like to do is add maybe a cup or less of sugar to the water. Then setup your weber for a direct cook and slap a grill full on and cover! Just keep rolling them baby's until they are good and dark all the way around. You can throw the cooked ones in a paper sack and roll the top down, that will keep them warm and ready. Good luck with whatever you do! and Happy 4th to ya!

The way I do it is to just cut a bit of the end with the silk/hair off the corn and slap them on the charcoal grill until the outside is completely charred. In my opinion, you can't really mess this up because the corn will start to pop if it is getting over-done, which is basically at the point where I think it tastes best - maybe something to do with the natural sugars carmelizing?

I've both grilled and smoked--prefer grilled.
Grilling 4 ears this afternoon to go with a smoked turkey breast.

I trim excess stalk and silk end -- just for appearance.
Soak for a couple of hours.
Grill on low to medium heat till husk is dried out and charred.

The silk almost falls off.

Good Eats!

TIM

I have only smoked corn once... It was good, but did not turn out the way I anticipated. Perhaps the type of wood I used in the smoke was too powerful. I enjoy the sweetness of the corn and could not really enjoy it because the smoke overpowered it. Plus I prefer the charred look that the grill gives the corn. Depending on how I feel, if I have time to 'babysit' the corn, I corn it naked (no stalk or silk) and just keep turning it. I finish it off with a butter that has some cajun seasoning or parmesan in it for added flavor. The recipe above my post is how I more frequently cook it though.

I take mine, peel down the husk, desilk, and rub room temp butter all over. Sprinkle with parm cheese and then some salt and chili powder, little cayenne. Grill them till just a little charred. Yum Yum! Grill rather than smoke, faster rewards! Sometimes I soak in water or a water/milk combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
They take forever on my kettle, I can't imagine waiting for them to smoke. Grill em up hot!

I don't do anything special in the prep, throw 'em in
the Drumpit @250*, give them two and a half hours or so,
and then take 'em out and enjoy!!!

I did some yesterday - pulled some of the outside husks off, took out the silk and pulled the husks back up. Soaked them for about 30 minutes, then put them on the grill for about 20 minutes or so. Pretty tasty.

Wow, lots of interesting techniques. Never heard of pre-soaking.

I pull the husk & silk off, season with Lawry's season salt, a little butter or olive oil and then wrap in foil. Grill direct 15-30 minutes.

I pull the husk and silk off and just throw em on the grill. I like when they char up a bit. grill em like a hot dog... just keep rollin it until the whole thing is a little chared. Mix some herbs in some butter and rub it on.. the only way my family likes corn on the cob

Wow looks like everyone has there own way to cook corn

If I grill them I pre-soak the corn for 2-3 hours.

If your going to smoke them don't do anything. Just rinse the corn husk and all. and put them on the smoker for the last 2-3 hours of what ever your cooking.

Works well with ribs if your doing the 3-2-1. While I'm foiling the ribs my wife put the corn on the second rack of my UDS. Put the ribs back on the upper rack close the lid and your good to go no turning necessary.

When we do COTC around here, we're doing a lot at a time. Big family and everyone eats the heck out of it.

I'm with N8. Out of the shopping bag and right onto the grate. Typically, I'll have the UDS fired up anyway, so just throw the unprepped corn (silk, husk and all) on the drum grate that's not being used. I've even stacked them "log cabin style" if I have more cobs than grate. Just give room for the heat to move around them. I could probably do this same thing in the oven as well. Not much effect from the smoke this way. The corn steams in the husk. Silks come off easier post cook.

I've also shucked them, seasoned with S&P, foiled and grilled direct. Have also done it sans foil. This causes the kernels to char a bit, but it's REALLY good.

All in all......lots of ways to get it done. Have a great 4th!!!

Grill. Husk off, rub lightly with EVOO, sprinkle with Cavender's Greek Seasoning and slap it on. Turn it once in a while to get a bit of char all around.

Our flavorite way is the grill. As other have said, peel back the husks until you can get to the silks. Remove the silks, replace the husks back over the corn and toss in a sink (or seriously large bowl) full of water. Tip- I will use a plate and a grill press to hold them under for 30min. I also use one or two thin strips of husks to make 'ties' and secure the very ends of the husks, kinda seals it all up....but that is just my deal.

Cook = 15min on med/high preheated grill. Rotate corn to the other side and cook for another 15m and pull. Best when served immediately. Sweet corn is just amazing this way.

Me i grill with husk on directly in coals. Keep lid on weber as much as possible. Turn frequently and cook till husk is all black. Just watch the ends of husk catching on fire. I usually pull husk back, and finish lightly roasting on grill. Quick coating of butter and seasoning. :-D

I like grilled COTC, however, I love the steamed method. Ashmont built a badass corn cooker from two metal trash cans. He steamed 50 corn ears in about an hour and a half. Seen it firsthand.

Back