MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Porky Joes
Full Fledged Farker

Default Cupcake Chicken Thighs

So today I will be attempting this for the first time. I can tell already the thighs are a bit to large for my silicone muffin container. The rub is a left over cajun one I had from January and am trying to use up and the smoking wood is apple. I see that HD sells bags of hickory logs now along with the chips and chunks. Has anyone tried the logs? Usually I combine the chunks and Kingsford hickory charcoal when cooking pork and brisket.

I am using the 22.5 Weber that I bought to use for parts on my UDS. The chicken went on at 4:10 this afternoon. I just took my drum out to start painting it black and it started to sprinkle so that went right back in the house.

I will be posting pictures later on tonight.

-Porky Joe's
www.porkyjoesbbq.com
Porky Joes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Waiting...waiting...

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
bbqchicken
is One Chatty Farker

Old 04-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Golden Toad BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

[URL="http://www.XtinctionSauces.com"]www.XtinctionSauces.com[/URL]
Golden Toad BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
fnnm358
is One Chatty Farker

Wheres the pron

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Porky Joes
Full Fledged Farker

As promised here is the pron:

This was my first attempt. I think next time I should cut the thighs down smaller for the silicone mold. They finisihed in just under 5 hours. I will definetly try and pactice once more before the Westmont competition next month.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

They look good, but WOW 5 hours seems like a looooong time to cook thighs. What temp did you cook them at?
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Porky Joes
Full Fledged Farker

I cooked them at 250F. The part I had trouble with was scraping the skin with the paint scraper. Any advice?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Joes View Post
I cooked them at 250F. The part I had trouble with was scraping the skin with the paint scraper. Any advice?

Did you use this kind of a scraper? I really like the amount of pressure you can apply, plus changing blades is handy. Any sharpening I do is with a stone on the flat side only.... just removing the burr.

If that doesen't work well for you, try a wide knife like this bullnose model. I hold it more by the blade than the handle.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
Badgeman
On the road to being a farker

They look very tasty! I agree that 5 hours is a very long time to cook them; and I also agree that scraping the skin is the most difficult and precise aspect to this cook. After suffering through many torn skins, and trying nearly every knife and scraper I could find, I found that a thin, tremendously sharp knife, a filet knife or a Gyoku style made by Shun gave me consistently great results. I've also found that slicing the fat, not scraping it works best for me.
Badgeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Utah Jake

Can we go back to that time, five hours? That is about double what I do them in at 275. Might want to rethink that one. Also a tip if I can, Home Depot carries a pair of red handled cable cutters. They are made to slice through large gauge electrical cable and leave a clean cut. They also work well at capturing the thigh bone and slicing off the joint without crushing the bone or shooting it across the room.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm not trying to be a smart-a$$ here, or anything, but can I ask what the advantage is to using the silicon muffin container as opposed to just laying the chicken thighs straight on the grill? What am I missing here?
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
bbqchicken
is One Chatty Farker

I believe it's a comp thing. Presentation I guess.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
Utah Jake

No problem on the question, until you have seen the results it's hard to follow. It's a method Myron Mixon came up with. The silicon muffin pans have a large hole in the bottom. You set it down in a another metal pan like the buffet pans at Sam's Club. Then you add 28 ounces of chicken broth or chicken stock. Next you take small chicken thighs, cut the joint knuckle off each end, press them skin down in the muffin pan. Sprinkle them with seasoning and place a pat of butter on them and move the whole thing into the smoker at 275 for 90 minutes.
After 90 minutes flip them over and cook them another 60 minutes, skin side up. After the 60 minutes, remove them from their hot tub six pack, place them on an oven tray, glaze with sauce and cook for another 15 minutes.
What you have is perfect little round chicken thighs that not only look uniform but fit the tasting paper perfect.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

^^^Ingenius!
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote