WSM Maiden Voyage-PRON HEAVY by 5:00PM

jeffsee

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well, the 18.5" WSM I scored on Tuesday is gettin' dirty!

The wife still isn't 100% sold on smoker food, so I hope to do up the rack of spares good. If she likes them, I can convince her to let me do more than one rack.

I plan to add a fatty later in the cook.

Enjoy....I know I will.

4568feab.jpg

d9654535.jpg

0fa319b4.jpg

0bb8f8f6.jpg

Does the mustard really make that much of a difference???Im gonna give it a try next time a fire up the pit.

Wait for experts...

Does the mustard really make that much of a difference???Im gonna give it a try next time a fire up the pit.

You'll have to wait for responses from the experienced folks. I'm breaking in the WSM with Gary Wiviott's spare ribs recipe/process.

1/2 hour in and the scent from the vent is already smelling good.

Regarding the mustard, I am not a huge fan, at least on the WSM. If you use water in the water pan, I think that there is enough moisture in the cooker to where the mustard actually works against you. If you foil it's even more counter-productive. Just my 2 cents. You will just have to eat them up and form your own opinion :becky: Nice score BTW...

The mustard only acts as a "glue" for the rub to stick better....sometimes I use it sometimes I don't, it's not absolutely necessary.

Some folk say that the vinegar in the mustard helps tenderize the meat, I'm not completely sold on that theory.

Last butt I did I used mustard for the first time & I really liked the bark - may not have been all about the mustard but I'm gonna keep doing it. I'm using an offset so it'll be different for you. I used a mixture of regular mustard and spicy mustard.

Looking forward to the dirty pron.

I use mustard on pork, and worcestershire sauce on beef.The biggest tip that I can give you is go light on the smoke. Many (Including me) over smoke the first time out. You shouldn't see white smoke coming from the smoker the whole smoke. After it is up to temp, and burning clean it should be what is described as a "pale blue smoke." If you over smoke it your wife may be less than willing to try it again.
Good luck, and let us see finished pics
PS What and how much wood are you using?

<--- Agree with Bruce, mustard does nothing but keep your rub adhered.
...prepared mustard will lose its flavor during cooking.

Yep, mustard loses all flavor when it's cooked, but it does let you pile on extra rub. I am sure the vinegar has an effect on the meat, but I can't tell the difference. I do not use mustard because i seem to liek it better without, and I don't pile the rub on all that much either. I sprinkle it all over real well though, I jsut don't cake it on. I like that the best, but each person has their own personal tastes you know.:cool:

Those ribs sure look good though, hope they turn out to be a big success! If not, spring the fatty on her! (I mean the meat, err, well, you know what I mean). Everyone loves a good fatty!

Some folks spray their meat with Pam for rub adhesion, some put a thin coat of butter on for rub adhesion, some use mustard. I do not use anything and the rub seems to adhere well. It is just personal preference so do what ever you want and I am sure it will turn out well.

It really depends upon how moist or dry your ribs are whether you need to slather on an adhearing agent such as mustard. The fact is, as has been cited herein, if you cook those ribs as well as you should, all taste of the prepared mustard will have vanished. As for the vinegar tenderizing or not, look at it this way. If I put no vinegar on the pork, no vinegar will tenderize. If I put a little vinegar on the pork by virtue of it being in the mustard, it will tenderize a little. The key for me is I've never heard of it hurting anyone's ribs. I use mustard on ribs, butt and yes, I've even used it on chicken but take NO, Zero, Zip, Zilch, Nada tips about cooking BBQ'd chicken from this cook. In my association, it's well known that "I HATE BBQ'D CHICKEN"!!! Somebody yells that outloud at every single comp I cook....come to think of it, it might be me!

Ribs came out OK. Wife was impatient. Ribs off a bit too soon. All gone, though.

No leftovers... always a good sign.

Well not quite... means you didn't make enuff for tomorrow's lunch!

She liked the taste but not the overall rib (fat not broken down enough). She didn't realize the WSM was brand-stinkin' new. I just need to learn my cooker. I will definitely go with less water next time. 2011 WSM water pan is HUGE!

Well if you want to get rid of that big pan, I'll swap you one of the old style smaller ones. It's in great shape. Most always foiled when used. Just let me know if you want to. I cook on three and I could use one bigger pan.

Back