Cooking it like Cowgirl Dutch Oven Bierocks or Runzas or whatever you want to call them.

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ever since seeing Jeanie make this I've wanted to give them a try. Boy am I glad I did.

Bierocks are meat-filled pastries originating in Eastern Europe. German and Russian immigrants ended up bringing them to the Americas and they are enjoyed all over, especially in areas with large Eastern European populations.

Here is her recipe for the dough that I used.
1 1/4 cups of warm water
1 pkg of yeast
2 TBs oil
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups of flour (more if needed)
dissolve the yeast in water, add the sugar, oil and then the salt.. stir in 2 cups of flour and add enough of the remaining flour to make the dough come together. Knead 5 minutes, cover and rest for 1 hour.

Here is the recipe I used for filling which is mostly hers but slightly different.
1 large Vidalia onion. (Slivered)
2 lbs of hamburger
1/2 large head of cabbage (finely chopped)
1 tsp. of salt
2 tbsp. for fresh ground black pepper.
2 cloves of miced garlic.

Sweat the onions

Then add the meat

and cook until its browned.

Now add the cabbage and cook until it wilts.

I now set this aside and prepped my kamado for the cook as the D.O. table.

I cooked these in this Camp Chef Dutch Oven.

Rubbed it down with some butter flavored Crisco.

Lite up some briquettes in a chimney on my side burner.

Here is the dough after proofing for 75 minutes. (Wow!)

Prepared my work area.

Rolled out the dough into a 14” long loaf shape and cut it into 7 roughly equal pieces.

I rolled each piece into a ball

And roll each into an approximate 7” to 8” round disk.

Add 2 giant spoonful’s of filling,

fold over all the sides,

pinch closed

and place into the D.O.

I place 10 briquettes on the bottom

and then the D.O. and 20 briquettes on top. (Note: I had to add more briquettes. Next time I’ll light my briquettes later so they will be fresher so as to last longer)

I closed the lid with the vents wide open.

Due to having to add more briquettes they took longer than I expected. Here they are after 50 minutes.

Here is one straight out of the D.O.

And here is one plated with some potato salad and a Modern Times Hoppy Wheat bear.

And here is the money shot.

These are delicious. With College Football kicking off this week I froze a couple. These will go great with the game on Saturday. :thumb:

Brother that looks spectacular. Heck for a minute I thought it was Cowgirls post. Again, great job brother.

Looks great! And football is going to cause an increase in calorie intake around here:eusa_clap

Just like my Grandma use to make!

I come from a small town in the panhandle of Texas that had several German families including mine. When I was in school my Grandmother and other relatives would make and sell these as a fundraiser for the Junior and Senior classes. I recall them making 2-3 THOUSAND of them each year.

Our family recipe calls for sourdough.

Thanks for the memory! Smells AMAZING!:clap2:

I think it's time for me and my girls to spend some time in the kitchen!

Great work! Those look awesome. I don't have time to make them today but I may just have to go to Runza today to get a fix. And yes, those are great at/for football games as any Husker fan knows. :becky:

That looks and sounds so fabulous that I'd fly out to California just for them if it wasn't so dang far! Wow wow wow

I'm gonna have to try this and soon! I guess it won't matter what cooker as long as it can get hot right?

Back