MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #16
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Nice looking build!

waiting for more

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #17
DaveMW
is One Chatty Farker

Well this is just great. Last time I started following a build thread I built a UDS. "Hey honey! What if I put a Santa Maria pit in the backyard." You all heard her say "yes" didn't you?
Weber Jumbo Joe "AH" - Black
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Smoky Joe "F"- Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Genesis - Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Weber Go-Anywhere - Black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]UDS - which surprisingly is not black[/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Smoker[/FONT]
DaveMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #18
Murray in N.Z.
On the road to being a farker

Dave.. Wrong question... do not ask "Hey honey! What if I put a Santa Maria pit in the backyard."

Everyone knows that a bloke does his best thinking whilst sitting on the can, so next time you are in there just refine the idea and then have a eurika moment and ask is she has any objections (but not too loudly). We all have noticed that the missus never listens to us when we are sitting and schitting so talking to her thru the shut door, you do shut the door dont you?, she will not be able to decypher the words from the usual grunts n groans... therefore no objections!

Make sure you plan ther job thoroughly so that there is a minimum of time between bills so that they wont show up on the statements untill its well under way. Dont try to be sneaky on do it in bits and pieces coz they always notice, just order up large then rip all the packaging so that the store wont take it as a refund.
Murray in N.Z. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
FashionBiff
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I love the stainless rod idea, I really want to see this come together. Nothing beats a Santa Maria built into masonry, they can be so beautiful when done.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #20
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
hmmm, I have found that not all bed frames are made equal. Some are rather pitty and hard to weld. Maybe I just suck at welding.
No Bob you are correct, some of them are bad but for free I am willing to work with them.
[CENTER]Rescued Red MasterTouch - 1998[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Smoky Joe - 1984 (My Little Girls)[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Ranch Kettle X2- 2008 With Brother Marty Leach's Handles and 1991 CL find.[/CENTER]
[CENTER]SS Weber Performer X 2 [/CENTER]
Igotgas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #21
che22879
is one Smokin' Farker

Old 05-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #22
CircleW
On the road to being a farker

Stainless Steel

Awesome!!

-SS UDS-
Super, super fast YELLOW Thermapen!
Stoker
CircleW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2012, 12:38 AM   #23
mikeyd
Got Wood.

Exclamation Drawing of Santa Maria

Ok guys here's the drawing Chad is talking about. I honestly drew it up in less than 5 min. as if you couldn't tell. Nothing is to scale etc...

Grill sizes again:

Small Grate: 14" wide x 30" deep

Large Grate: 34" wide x 30" deep.

We are looking to drop the metal frame legs 36" into the masonry pit. Also the angle iron that sits on top of the masonry is 4"x4" masonry not the 9"x9" shown.

Mikes Santa Maria Grill.pdf

I'm going with a large wheel with tensioner on the other end. Anyone have any idea on how large to make the wheel? We've thrown around 16", 18" even 30" lol. Anything would help.

Also is there any brethren on here who has a cool program they can draw it up on? That would be cool!

Thanks all again for input!

Mike

Old 05-31-2012, 05:01 AM   #24
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

I've been wanting a Santa Maria Grill for a long time. These grills are non existant here in Louisiana and it's hard to find someone who would know how to make the wheel etc.
I'm about to opt for a cinder block cooker and fabricate a grate that can be raised and lowered with some sort of crank system. i want it big enough to double as a small pig cooker and fire pit.

BTW, very cool build. Looking forward to the finished product.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #25
mikeyd
Got Wood.

Ok Brethren if I told you guys, you wouldn't believe me but this is my 3rd attempt at posting this and hopefully this will be it. I was continously closing the pages to get other stuff done as I was uploading to this page lol and so I lost everything.

So the below pics are from last Friday to show you all where we are at in our build. Please feel free to comment any way and inform us on what you see that can be done better or stronger etc... don't shy away from asking us "WHY?" we are doing something a certain way because this is all new to us as well. We are looking to all our Brethren out there to help make this one hell of a great build. Hope you all enjoy the pics and thank you all who have gave us input so far.

Also if anyone on this site can help me out with a Cinder Block Masonry questions who knows their masonry laying etc.. please please please message me I have some questions that are probably simple. Since this who SMG will be dropped into a masonry pit :)

The below picture is the small grate that we took back apart to change some design flaws that we saw that you saw in the first set of pictures I posted. For one we added double SS bar supports instead of single. We also removed the square tubing as it was proving to be a pain and getting in the way of the with having to put one of the grate rods through it. So we placed a flat steel piece and drilled 2 holes in it and this will be welded to the grate frame and the guid rail.

Next we attached the guide rail on prior to placing all the grate rods in and starting the weld.

Chad welding the small grate which measure 14"x30"

View of the small grate on it's side after 50% weld completed

Close up of the bottom side of the small grate showing how we spaced the SS support bars and the clearance between them and the top grate rods

Weld 75% completed at this point on the small grate.

Close up showing the rail guide and the flat steel piece I mentioned in the beginning. As you can see that flat support bar has the 2 support rods underneath going into it. The plate still needs to be welded to the frame. Also the weld points still need to be cleaned up.

And so the building of the BEAST grate has begun. In the picture below we have the completed small grate at 14"x30" and the large grate with a bootle of beer on top for size comparison coming in at 34"x30" when we weighed the completed small grate it came in at 37lbs. so we are estimating 70+ lbs. for this large grate.

So what's left: LOTS! lol....like I said we are working on the large grate so that will need to be all square up and we need to fabricate the cross support rods , drill out the flat support plate that they will go through and then weld it all together. We still need to the get the wheels bent that will adjust the grates and also work on the fram that this will all attach to. So stay tuned to many more pics.

Don't forget we want to hear our Brethren members on what you see that can be improved or what doesn't make sense etc...or what you do/don't like about it. Trust us we are learning as we go too!

Last edited by mikeyd; 06-06-2012 at 03:40 PM..
mikeyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #26
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are you reinforcing the corners of the larger grate? I see potential problems with racking of the grate that is that large. The cross-braces under the grate will not be adequate to prevent corner racking. Neither will the welds. You might want to consider traingular gussets at the vertical supports, extending a few inches along the side, this would provide some resistance to twisting of the frame.

Considering the weight of the racks, especially the larger one, a 24" or 30" diameter wheel is a better choice, your leverage will just be better.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #27
mcglock
Got Wood.

Very nice build!!! can't wait to see more.
mcglock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #28
mikeyd
Got Wood.

Landarc your a genius!!! lol seriously I was afraid of racking and your solution is the answer I was looking for. How thick do you think the metal need to be that we use as triangular gussets?

Is this something we want to place underneath or on the topside? If underneath, how to we prevent build up of fluids from food juices etc.. from getting caught up in there. Or am I thinking totally different here.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 06-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #29
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would go with a piece of 1/8" or 3/16" sheet stock, cut into a triangle, or my preference, a truncated triangle (trapezoid) that is welded on each side of the vertical to the frame. The truncated triangle is welded such that there is a triangular gap at the 90 degree angle from the frame to the verticals. This prevents build up of grease in that corner.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #30
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Try this design for your corner gussett's give the corner's a little radius the hole will let any fluid that collects drip through or heat up and vaporize.. Hope it helps...
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]

Last edited by razrbakcrzy; 08-23-2012 at 08:50 AM..
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BBQ Grill, BBQ Pit, Igotgas, Masonry Grill, Masonry Pit, Mike's Santa Maria Grill, Mikes Grill, Mikeyd, Santa Maria Grill