Trophy Question

O

Ohio Pork

As a contest organizer I'm interested in what you guys like to win. Is the bigger the trophy the better? Do you prefer banners? What type of award do you prefer?

well, lets see, since it is for the contest in Ohio......how about something that is Ohio Unique to OH. Gawdy trophies are fun too....laughing, check out the Pictures from Danville, VA contest.....the grand championship trophy was about 6 feet tall. But, have it be something unique to the contest....so, something swine and Ohio......appreciate the asking for input.....my entry is off in the mail already...

We won cutting board plaques one time that were branded with event info. They were neat and classy. I've even thought about hanging them in my office (wouldn't do that with those flashy, plastic trophies).

Motorcycles, especially Harleys are good. :biggrin::cool:

I like the idea of a 3x4 banner with the name of the contest and GC on it and it's great advertising for you. Of course that's in addition to a trophy. Laser engraved cutting boards are good especially for each category. Overall there's nothing like a big old hunk of trophy but try to keep them under 3 feet. Bigger than that is hard to display. And creative stuff with a BBQ theme is also cool. Think out of the box. And don't spend to much on trophies unless it's a Harley because we're really there for the cash. SHOW ME THE MONEY:icon_cool

Motorcycles, especially Harleys are good. :biggrin::cool:

I like the idea of a 3x4 banner with the name of the contest and GC on it and it's great advertising for you. Of course that's in addition to a trophy. Laser engraved cutting boards are good especially for each category. Overall there's nothing like a big old hunk of trophy but try to keep them under 3 feet. Bigger than that is hard to display. And creative stuff with a BBQ theme is also cool. Think out of the box. And don't spend to much on trophies unless it's a Harley because we're really there for the cash. SHOW ME THE MONEY:icon_cool

I couldn't have said it better myself.:-D

Don't just limit yourself to bowling trophies. There are also nice ribbons (not the book mark kind), dog tags (great idea Jim!), medals, cutting boards, something that is unique to the area. Hand carved wood one's are nice. While all these big dogs are worried about the money... Something memorable from the contest is just as nice if not better. And trust me when I say I have a roomful of trophies. I still like looking at them and remembering the contest by those...

Don't just limit yourself to bowling trophies. There are also nice ribbons (not the book mark kind), dog tags (great idea Jim!), medals, cutting boards, something that is unique to the area. Hand carved wood one's are nice. While all these big dogs are worried about the money... Something memorable from the contest is just as nice if not better. And trust me when I say I have a roomful of trophies. I still like looking at them and remembering the contest by those...

Have a pic of your Gator? That's one of the more unique awards I've seen.

2008WildPignPepperJam039.JPG

While mine is a baby next to Rub's... Mine has a lot more detail... What you also can't see is I am about ready to pop an artery holding that thing up for the pictures... As she is very heavy... My daughter was at risk being underneath that thing...

organizing a backyard event this september. I found three different sized bamboo cutting boards and am awarding those as plaques. Got the trophy shop to engrave plates to attach to them. Also found little 4 inch resin smokers to attach to them. total of 10 awards at less than $6.00 a piece. Plus the prize money. Everyone should be pleased.

Pleasant Hill always has nice awards. Last year they had a championship belt (that Plowboy, and Hodedo won.)
This year it was a whiskey barrel top that has been cut off, engraved, and schlacked. (very nice, and it still smells like whiskey:-D)

Attachments

• Chad with Grand Champion Award resized.jpg
    Chad with Grand Champion Award resized.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 110
I really like aprons embroidered with the contest logo and the placing.

Darker colors with pockets are good.

While I have not aquired a room full of trophies from BBQ ,I did have more than a modest collection of trophies from competition coon hunting.Most of my favorites were the ones with clocks in them.While cost prohibitive for categories they would draw a lot of attention for GC and RGC.I was going to take pic of one of the few I saved but the camera battery is dead.I will add it later.One of my favorites got destroyed was a clock plaque with a space for a picture.That one carried many memories.

Attachments

• clock (Small).jpg
    clock (Small).jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
BATs are popular
Big A$$ Trophies

Clovis Ca has the best trophies out there
They use Frederic Remington Bronzes

Attachments

• remington.jpg
    remington.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 60
Liberty Bell BBQ Trophys, Philadelphia, PA

These were the trophys from Liberty Bell BBQ in Philadelphia, PA
What about the Grill Kings Belt, Dr BBQ do you have a photo?

Attachments

• Liberty Bell BBQ Bells.JPG
    Liberty Bell BBQ Bells.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 48
Let's see, we've gotten some nice ones:

bigmanwithhorsie_med.jpg

ss1.jpg

alittlejack.jpg

The one thing they have in common is that they couldn't have come from anywhere else but that particular contest. We just scored the most adorable little replica of the Hoover Dam!

Trophies are ok, but like it has already been said, they are so generic....

I too like the idea of something unique to the specific comp.

Shelby has the wooden doors, Rocky Mount this year has the acrylic ones, and a very nice ??? hard to describe for the GC.... now that is nice. I will see if I can get a pic of it, no wait, it is on my "Myspace". Go to the link in my sig, do to the pics, and look for the Rocky Mount folder.... it is really nice, and I personally know the team that won it.... we still talk about it.

There was a 6ft+ trophy won just a week or so ago at another contest.... now if I was to win that, I am not sure if it would make it home safely without getting damaged.... then, where would I put it, in the front yard??? :eek: That thing would collect so much dust so fast, that all of the spare time would be used up trying to keep it clean....

I am going to my corner now....

Back