• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Couple of practice boxes

Brew-B-Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Ok, I threw these together in a rush last night after a few cocktails. I still would like some feedback on the boxes below. What would you score these and where should I focus my improvements on?

I only had 8 pieces of chicken to start, and they were hard to get the same size while trimming. That too got rushed. Basically, everything was rushed last night for various reasons, but the food tasted very good.

Anyways, here you go.

Attachments

• Chicken practice 080208 (Large).jpg
    Chicken practice 080208 (Large).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 139
  • Ribs practice 080208 (Large).jpg
    Ribs practice 080208 (Large).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 140
The chicken doesn't look appetizing to me; some of it's kind of lumpy looking (probably due to rushing, etc.).. Too much parsley on top/in between.... 6-7.

Ribs... I'd wonder why you covered up the front. Also, the side-to-side arrangement looks odd because it looks like the top layer is falling off the bottom. If you're going to layer, I'd only do it front-to-back, especially after seeing this. Color isn't all that even... probably 6-7 also.

If you're going to layer, I'd only do it front-to-back, especially after seeing this.

When you say only do it front to back, do you just mean keep the top layer even on top, so it's not falling over like it is now? The "fanned" look was a bad idea that came up last night when they wouldn't sit just right and I was impatient.

i only did one competition but i heard the expression "you gotta fill the box" and thats what i like to do. i also use green leaf lettuce instead of parcely because you can work it easyer. we try to get a big even square of meat in there surrounded by a tiny even boarder of lettuce, so i think you should square out the lower left corner on the ribs, and work on getting larger even pieces of chicken with even skin(we tie ours on the under side).

Watch on the garnish, yes, up front, you said in a rush. It seems like you ended up using the garnish to hide the meat, instead of to compliment the meat. Looks like you added much in after the meat was placed...and it needs to be a little more even.

The top rib, you have a hanger on it, watch that, and keep it clean...uniform in color as much as possible with the ribs.

Take your time, but, move fast....thanks for allowing us to view and critique

I'd start by reducing the amount of parsley and try to make it even all the way around.

Chicken...trim it a little tighter before cooking.

Ribs...Just work on the arangement and try not to show the "unsauced meat" on the edges on the ribs.

Sauce is not even and cut off the turtle heads on the chicken before you cook it. Cut back on the parsley too. Looks like 70's pron. :lol: I like the chicken better than the ribs though. I agree with Curt... turn your ribs the other way in the box and don't hide the meat with greens. Looks like maybe a couple of knife issues there. I'd say 7 on chicken (probably a little generous) and 6 on ribs.

Back