MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:50 AM   #1
Greatgrills
Full Fledged Farker

Default Contest and Taxes

anyone having problems with taxes??? do you have to claim a winning if you do not receive a 1099?? also does anyone have to pay state taxes in different state other then the one they live in?

Mark and Becky
Great Grills O' Fire
Homemade Smoker
22 1/2" WSM for chicken
WSMx2 for when I make my own team
And lots of beer drinkin
Greatgrills is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

This is a dilema of conscience. If no 1099 there is a good chance the government doesn't know about your winnings but that does not aliviate you from paying tax on them. It's up to your conscience.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

If they want my winnings, they'll get my expenses, too. In the end, I'll win.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Here is an extensive discussion of Hobby vs Business income and expenses:

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showth...ighlight=taxes

As to an event that does not send 1099's.......

There is a minimum $ threshold where 1099's are not required.
Used to be $600, but I don't keep up with that stuff anymore.

The main "exposure" to a team with winnings but no 1099 is from an audit of the event's organizers. Their "expense" ledger would show at least the name of the team or head cook and the $ amount paid. From that, an anal IRS auditor can match up returns to see if $ were reported by winner.

Teams just need to do what they think is correct in all of this----depending on their "tolerance for adventure"

This is one subject I would still refer to a qualified Tax Professional and not rely on Internet Wisdom.
For sure

TIM

Old 02-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

That's a question I was wondering about the other day when I was doing my taxes. Now that I'm gearing up to start doing comps, would any of my purchases and such become deductible as a hobby expense since there is some chance of winning prize money? I'm far from being a tax whiz or an accountant so what do you guys do?

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
ggriffi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy
If they want my winnings, they'll get my expenses, too. In the end, I'll win.
Plowboy,

Remember this is the irs you're talking about, I don't think they ever lose

gary

"BassAckwards Bar B Q Co."

PCC 24"X48" Backyard Smoker
Weber Q100
44 qt Bayou Classic
Sears 4 burner gasser w/rotisserie
Weber kettle
Bookers and Coke

I refuse to kiss anything that uses its tongue for toilet paper
ggriffi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Never mind. Kapn posted the link to the thread I was looking for. Man, this is becoming a regular thing for me here. I gotta brush up on my thread searching skills. I can't find nothin nomore.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgrills
anyone having problems with taxes??? do you have to claim a winning if you do not receive a 1099?? also does anyone have to pay state taxes in different state other then the one they live in?
This is why I vow to never win a contest.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348
That's a question I was wondering about the other day when I was doing my taxes. Now that I'm gearing up to start doing comps, would any of my purchases and such become deductible as a hobby expense since there is some chance of winning prize money? I'm far from being a tax whiz or an accountant so what do you guys do?
NOTE:
I am NOT a tax professional nor do I even begin to pretend to warrant what I say here regarding tax law . . .

BUT - I do have quite an extensive background in starting small companies, geting stuck in tight places and managing to work my way out of them legally and ethically. I have a few ideas that you might want to use . . . or not.

My experience is that before you can begin declaring expenses, you must have some income.

This keeps every basement shotgun shell reloader and weekend wood turner from declaring their hobby expenses. Heckster, if declaring hobby expenses were legal, we might be able to claim HD TV sets as an expense towards our NASCAR race viewing hobby!

You must show intent to run your competition team as a business . . . and the IRS' acid test for this (in my experience) is if you receive income in direct relation to your activities as a competition Q'r.

You must also show that you are actively seeking out funding (revenues) for your competition Q team. You don't have to be profitable, but you must be able to demonstrate serious intent to profit from your activities.

There are two books that I've read. (And not because I wanted to but because I found myself in a postition where I thought I should.)

1) Accounting for Dummies. Chapter 3 is all about taxes and how to look at them and consider them.

2) The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Accounting Course. Chapter 16 is all about taxes.

Both of these are well written, although you can probably guess that the For Dummies book is much more fun to read. On the other hand by the end of the Accounting Course book, after I took the final exam, I felt like my knowledge of business accounting was pretty solid.

So take these thoughts for what they're worth. ("But Mr./Ms. IRS Field Agent Smith, I was just following advice I received from some guy I don't even know on an Internet forum" is NOT going to fly!) At least maybe these thoughts will give you some ideas of where you need to head in conversations with your accountant. And yes, you need an accountant. It's one of the ways you're going to be able to demonstrate seriousness in running a business. Besides, it's the best money you'll ever spend. That and a lawyer.

/Brother Dave

[edit] P.S. To answer Mark and Becky's question, if you "take possesion" of the funds in a state other than the one you live in, then most states expect you to pay them tax on that income. However, your home state often takes consideration of the fact that you received the income in another state and your tax rate on that income can be at a lower rate than your regular rate. At least this is how it was when I was working in Missouri and living in Kansas for a while. At the very least both states expect to hear about your income. Of course most states have some differences in their tax laws - and once again, this is a great reason to hire an accountant. /B.D.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I got a total of ONE 1099 last year... farkin GRAND RAPIDS, MICHIGAN! But actually, I didn't GET it. I've never heard a peep from those people after filling out a form they said I'df get one. Now seven months later (and two weeks past the deadline for them to get it to me)... nodda.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #11
lazyjacres
Take a breath!

I have been through this extensively with my accountant. You can deduct anything related to competition. It is considered a hobby with the intent to make money.
You can deduct all expenses including your entry fee, mileage, meat, garnish, food & snacks, tools, fuel and your cooker if it is intended solely for competition.
The other side is that if you win and bring in any monies what so ever, you are supposed to declare it. If you ever get audited, they could go back to the contests that you declared expenses from, and see who they paid prize money to. The cut in for 1099's is $600, but finding your income from contests is relative easy, especially if you declared any expense from them.
Ole' Hickory EL
Hunsaker Drum Smoker
Pull Behind Reverse Flow
lazyjacres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

But my understanding is that you can only claim expenses up to the amount of winnings (like gambling). Is that correct?
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #13
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

Use caution, there may be an IRS Lurker......

Old 10-10-2007, 11:38 AM   #14
MileHighSmoker
Full Fledged Farker

This might be of larger concern this year! Congrats again!
[CENTER][FONT=Arial][/FONT] [/CENTER]
MileHighSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #15
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Mark and Becky, Congrats again on your huge walk.

Im no financial guru here but thinking out loud. I dont know what the amount of money was for winning the Royal nor do I care, saying this with total respect. Im sure now that the whole world knows that you won. Therefore im sure if you dont recieve a 1099 form, The IRS still will know about it. Them folks always seem to be lurking somewhere.

I would contact a reputible tax attorney where you reside!

Thats who does my taxes. Also awnsers my questions on subjects like this.

Again Congrats on your huge walk, hope to meet you folks in person someday as well.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote