MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #16
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Our first comp, we had someone reach into our pulled pork, grab a handful, and say, 'good brisket'. From then on, we guard our meats better, usually putting a table between us and the front of the site.

We had a guy come up at 3 pm last Saturday, 1.5 hours after turn ins, and ask if we had samples to give out. Everything was either gone or put away by then... he was just cruising for free food.

I've been to other comps where everyone was giving out samples, and I kind of like that, as long as no vendors. This time, though, there were vendors, and, being out of work, I wanted the leftovers. :)

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2009, 01:44 PM   #17
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Never will I there are vendors. Try to do all work inside trailer very since we had someone pull pork out of our turn in once.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #18
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm glad I do everything in the trailer. If I catch someone going into the trailer, then they may not come out vertical.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #19
McClung
is one Smokin' Farker

Last one was easy, just told folks that chili was vending and we weren't. One before that was almost as easy, I was set up next to Swamprb and just kept putting my leftovers in his vending box! (thanks Brian!) Setting up next to Brian and his UDS's helps too since folks always seem to just want to bother the $hit out of him about the barrels.

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]The Good One Model 30/24P
UDS
Smoke and Thistle Competition Barbecue Team
1Lazy1 Brand, A Texas Original
Lifetime member Displaced Texans
[/SIZE]
[I]THE SPICY FAIRY ROCKS![/I]
[/FONT][/B]
McClung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #20
Skinny Cook
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale P View Post
It doesnt seem to fair to the vendors either. Why buy when you can get it for free.
BINGO Dale, well said !!!

We had a guy walk off with Chix in Madison last year.

I would prefer them to look but not touch.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:44 PM   #21
Greg60525
On the road to being a farker

I'm in an open tent, but I did not have anyone bother me during the turn-in times.............saw some of them hovering outside my space though, just waiting. I don't look at them directly, as that may invite them to start talking. Ater the turn-in I did have quite a few people come by and ask for samples, and because I cooked enough meat I gave some out. I'm not so sure that they were looking for lunch, as much as wanting to try competition food. Heck, I was on the other side of the fence, but I never had the pebbles to ask anyone for samples.

I did have one very interested and very nice couple stop by during the first (prep) day just to chat about BBQ.........they were thinking of getting into it next year. They came by again after turn-in the next day and we talked some more. They didn't even ask for samples............I offered it to them an allowed them to sample the complete selection.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #22
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

we were listening to some of the war stories from Jay @ Smokehouse 72 im W'loo. People reaching under his arm to grab turn in meats????
I'm embarrased to belong to the same gene pool as these people.
ModelMaker
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #23
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

We will never, ever, give away samples if someone is vending BBQ.

Simple.

TIM

Old 07-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #24
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

We generally say sorry, we're not licensed to vend and that generally works. Sometimes they ask where they can get some BBQ and we'll point them in the direction of the vendors.

I think the original question was about this situation during turn in times ... to me, that's the worst. Again we simply say that we're not licensed and if they continue we tell them that we are right in the middle of turn ins. Fortunately, we haven't had a problem but I often think of what I've heard from others.

After turn ins, I'm not much for just putting pans of food out for people to grab - that is unless the organizer supplies the teams with food to cook for the public - then fine. But their ain't no such thing as a free lunch for the most part. Like others have said, show interest, be polite, ask some questions and you'll probably get a few samples.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #25
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Thank the Lord but we have never run into folks who just snatch food. How rude! But we have had those who want to chat during that critical time period.

I have thought about hanging a sign that explains everything in this thread...like I paid $$$ to enter...can't sell you food...won't give away...can't talk from 11:30 to 1;30...etc.

Anyone every use a sign like that? Maybe if we just helped the general public understand the process it would eliminate some of these problems.

Uncle Bud
Uncle Buds BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #26
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Buds BBQ View Post
Thank the Lord but we have never run into folks who just snatch food. How rude! But we have had those who want to chat during that critical time period.

I have thought about hanging a sign that explains everything in this thread...like I paid $$$ to enter...can't sell you food...won't give away...can't talk from 11:30 to 1;30...etc.

Anyone every use a sign like that? Maybe if we just helped the general public understand the process it would eliminate some of these problems.

Uncle Bud
I think I remember a thread where the discussion got heated regarding a team who put up a "No Samples" sign on their table.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #27
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

I do not like being bothered by anyone during turn-in times least of all GP looking for food. There are lots of ways organizers can incorporate public sampling into a contest...giving away samples during turn-in time isn't one of them.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #28
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

found it

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ght=No+Samples
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #29
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

In Dubuque last year we were the first team as you entered the area. I think everyone who walked into the BBQ area stopped to ask us for samples. Finally I made a sign that said all vendors with an arrow and put up. In those events where there is one or two main areas to enter for the public, I dont understand why the organizer can't have a sign that says something about where to get bbq, no samples, etc. Or put vendors at those locations instead of the furthest point away.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #30
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watertowerbbq View Post
I think I remember a thread where the discussion got heated regarding a team who put up a "No Samples" sign on their table.

Would that be me????

This will keep the "vultures" way for the most part..... if someone just stops by, and just starts chit chatting and asking general questions, etc... it is possible that he/she may get a quick sample.

I have found that for the most part, that little sign (which I usually put up abt 4 of them) will for the most part keep most of the people at bay. They will stop, look, watch, and usually talk among themselves that I do not hand out samples or sell, and walk away. Saves a lot of time while crunching to get the turn ins done and in on time without being real rude.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no sample sign.jpg (46.4 KB, 134 views)
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote