• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

wood chunks

Gettinit

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What woods do you like and what do you like using it with? I am really interested hearing about the fruit woods.

The woods I like.

Pecan Wood - Beef Short Ribs and Brisket
Cherry Wood - Pork Ribs and pork shoulder/boston butt/picnic
Apple and Peach - Pork loin and chicken
Oak - Not the best wood for categories but the best overall wood you can't ever go wrong with.

The woods I have tried
Walnut
Apple
Cherry
Hickory
Pecan
Oak
Maple
Peach

Wood chunks I have that I haven't tried yet
Grape
Persimmon
Orange

The woods I like.

Pecan Wood - Beef Short Ribs and Brisket
Cherry Wood - Pork Ribs and pork shoulder/boston butt/picnic
Apple and Peach - Pork loin and chicken
Oak - Not the best wood for categories but the best overall wood you can't ever go wrong with.

Pretty much how I rate wood to meat also. I do like oak mixed with pecan for cold smoking beef jerky. I will use cherry for chicken as well.
I will use hickory, in small amounts on most beef, "but in small amounts".

My friend owns a fruit farm so I mainly use Peach, Apple, and Cherry.

My brother also brings me a load of mixed citrus from Florida when he comes up in the spring, but it doesn't last very long.

Cherry would be my favorite.

Is there also a test meat you guys/gals use to test new woods with? I am up for anything but the wife isn't fond of some smoked meats. Hopefully it's because they were processed or liquid smoke. She has yet to eat anything smoked s long as we have been together.

One last queation; how short of a cook can you have and still get a smokey flavor?

Rarely use fruits. Post oak, hickory and pecan in that order. Pretty much any of them for all meats, but oak for beef, hickory for pork and pecan for bird are my favorite combos.

Is there also a test meat you guys/gals use to test new woods with?

Yes. I did tests with a couple chicken legs, a couple pork steaks, a couple salmon fillets, a couple burger patties, a couple tilapia fillets and a potato sliced in half. Smoke with the wood you want to try and no rub whatsoever. Enjoy one of each type of sample and label/freeze the other one. Take notes on what you liked or think worked best. When you have tried all of the woods that interest you, thaw the frozen samples, reheat them and then repeat the taste test side by side to confirm or reform your initial impressions. Take notes again on what worked best. Next time you want to smoke something, refer to your notes and decide what wood (or combination of woods) you want to use.

Things I learned: Whatever flavors cherries survives fire and carries over in the smoke to flavor the meat. That's the only wood I know that works that way. And cherry works really well with salmon.

Meat, fish and vegetables smoked with no seasoning can be surprisingly good! :hungry: Before you get all wrapped up figuring out what rub is going to give you the flavor you want, know what you're starting with!

I can't tell how one meat will taste given the flavor of the smoke on another meat so I try all that interest me.

After smoking meat as long as I have, I still experiment with different techniques.
Whatever I cook I eat, good or bad, thankfully most have been good, so jump in and try things, you'll find what you like and then tweek it here and there.

I really like all the sweet woods on pork and poultry.
Do you mix them?

Sometimes I mix cherry with the apple or peach just to have a different smell to the smoke, but mostly I use only one type of wood to a cook. When i do mix woods the main reason I add cherry is for the color, makes a great presentation on chicken, ribs, and whole butts before you pull the pork.

I use hickory and cherry, and pecan if I can get it without too much trouble. Oak is a staple. I learned one thing here, once you foil, its all heat. It doesn't matter about smoke if its wrapped in foil.

And it depends too on the type smoker too.

Post oak and pecan are plentiful in Texas so that's what I love using on anything.
Hate mesquite.
I love any fruit woods for chicken and pork.

Stupid question...what is post oak? I don't ever see oak in bags here.

It is a species of white oak that is very hard and resistant to rot, so it has been used for fence posts which is why it is referred to as Post Oak.

It is also very plentiful ranging from Florida to Connecticut out to Texas. If you live in these area's I would say that Post Oak is what most people think as a regular oak tree.

My Favorites

Oak
Hickory
Pecan
Apple
Peach

I will use any of those woods on any meat and I like it.

Persimmon was mentioned earlier. I have used it, and it is the most unique smoke aroma and flavor of woods I have used. We personally weren't fans of it, but if you are looking for something different, that would work.

Back