MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 03-31-2016, 09:46 PM   #1
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard
Default Discussion Thread -> **Special**"2016 Beef Brisket Master!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Five years ago, when Bigabyte was running things around here(and we all know the untimely fate he met with, God rest his soul. ) we were doing a unique kind of throwdown dedicated to specific cuts of meat.

Matt and I have decided to revive this kind of throwdown, but will be holding them within the structure of the monthly Special throwdowns vs the weekly TD's that had been held previously. This will allow more time for folks to prepare and submit their entries.

As to the rest, here's how it all will work, to quote Bigabyte, with some modifications:

For the Master's Cut TD's I will choose a specific cut of meat as the current cut. Contestants can make whatever dish they want so long as it uses that cut of meat in a reasonably prominent manner, and is cooked using a charcoal and/or wood fire.

No sides are allowed to be included with the dish, but you can garnish or dress the item with other things that pull that item together into a singular food item. For example, if the cut is steak and you make a salad topped with strips of steak and dressed with something over the top of that, that is allowed...that is if you believe your dish can beat a simply but perfectly executed steak that someone else may enter. However, a grilled steak with a baked potato and/or salad on the side would not be allowed.

The winner will get exclusive rights to be called "BBQ Brethren XYZ Master" for the cut with which you won. So the winner of this month's cut will earn the name "2016 BBQ Brethren Brisket Master", which you can feel free to add to your signature, or to proclaim to the world, or have printed on hats, or whatever the heck strikes your fancy.

Anyone caught trying to use such a term who has not earned the title by actually winning such a certification will be ridiculed and marginalized in such a manner that they will regret it and find it was not worth the "fun" they thought it might be.

There are many different cuts of meat from various animals commonly used in BBQ/Grilling, so we can go a while with no repeats. I will repeat cuts eventually, but will not repeat the same cut in a single year. So with each cut of meat, there can only be one master of that cut for that year.

When a cut repeats, if the previous winner wants to maintain their title, they should participate to maintain their title. If they lose, they can still refer to themselves as a past winner by specifying the year they won, but they can not claim to be the current master for that cut of meat. In other words, you could be the "2016 Steak Master", but not refer to yourself as simply "Steak Master"

To start things off, the first cut of meat is:

BEEF BRISKET:

This was Silverfinger's winning entry in the 2013 Brisket Master Throwdown

MASTER'S CUT CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING

1. You must cook the cut of meat using a charcoal and/or wood fired grill or smoker, or over an open wood fire.

2. Only one entry may be submitted per person.

3. You must submit at least one photo of your cut of meat in raw form, another one while it is on the cooker (note it does not still have to be in whole form while cooking), and at least one photo of your completed dish. You can submit other photos if you wish, but you must include these 3 to showcase the piece of meat, how you're cooking it, and the result. In other words, your entry will include 3 photos, not one.You are encouraged to post your full cook thread in QT, and link back here to this entry thread, but you MUST include these three photos in this entry thread. Here is an example from a previous Master's Cut TD Vote thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=101743

4. Your dish must consist of Brisket as a primary feature.

5. No sides are allowed. You may however dress your dish with other (edible) items to pull the dish together into one specific entree. For example, with a steak you could make a bed of salad greens, topped with sliced steak, and dressed with other foods. However, a steak with a baked potato and/or asparagus on the side is not allowed. The entree you create must stand on its own.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 4/1/16 through the entry submission deadline of 12pm (NOON), Central US Time on Monday 4/25/16.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. (NOON) Central US Time on Monday 4/25/16

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Last edited by Moose; 04-25-2016 at 01:22 PM..
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2016, 10:00 PM   #2
c farmer
Babbling Farker

Bet this isn't a good time to make my first brisket

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post
Don't sell yourself short - I followed Bigabyte's excellent brisket tutorial for my first brisket and it was a hit. If photos are a concern, I just re-stickied the Official Throwdown Photography Tips thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=96575
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-31-2016, 10:49 PM   #4
tom b

huh maybe another newb may try bricket
Old 03-31-2016, 10:55 PM   #5
smoke ninja

No gassers allowed.

My kind of contest
Old 04-01-2016, 05:12 AM   #6
mattmountz94
Babbling Farker

“There is no such thing as a stupid question. Just stupid people who ask questions.”

Does a pellet pooper fall into food fired smoker/grill?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmountz94 View Post
“There is no such thing as a stupid question. Just stupid people who ask questions.”

Does a pellet pooper fall into food fired smoker/grill?
Old 04-02-2016, 10:12 PM   #8
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

It burns wood pellets... But what do I know.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:18 AM   #9
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure I've ever been able to make a brisket as good as the first time I tried one so I wouldn't let the lack of experience stop you

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
bigreves
Full Fledged Farker

What happened to bigabyte?
bigreves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #11
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Bigabytes brisket tutorial is excellent
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #12
SmittyJonz

Where's the Beef. ?
Old 04-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #13
SmittyJonz

I'm smoking 2 Briskets at the N Tx Bash next weekend so maybe they'll go in here........
Old 04-09-2016, 08:58 PM   #14
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

I'm not scared to kick things off! This is my Entry post for the TD!

Cooked 4/8/16.
Cook Thread
Raw Brisket

Brisket on the WSM

This plated picture is my ENTRY

Old 04-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #15
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Finally! An entry in the entry thread!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote