MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #16
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

I have used the Treager and Green Mountain grills.
I agree less smoke at higher temps and have turned them off and back on to get a heavier smoke.

There are a few that are large and have a pooper at each end which could lend to making all kinds of blends and adjustments

I am very impressed with the yoder and would love to try one!
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #17
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

We have the MAK 1 Star and 2 Star Generals...the quality of smoke produced is amazing @ 225-250 which is where I smoke my big meats and ribs. MAK is coming out with the 3 Star General this Spring which may very well be a game changer for folks cooking at higher temps...stay tuned!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #18
Jaberwabee
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
My Klose pellet smoker puts off plenty of smoke regardless of the temperature I am cooking at. I use oak pellets that are approximately 12"x4"x4" each.
I was like, Klose Pellet! .......oh I'm an idiot............

My traeger, Yoder, and ma, have all been very similar with smoker. If imwant smoke I start at very low temp first then go to what I want to cook at.
1 Rib Machine Chargriller Pro Hella Mod (Retired)
2 Bubba Keg (One HOT MOTHER, One LOW N SLOW)
1 22" Performer
Yoder YS-640 is the next cooking device.
Jaberwabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #19
dirtydingus
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
My Klose pellet smoker puts off plenty of smoke regardless of the temperature I am cooking at. I use oak pellets that are approximately 12"x4"x4" each.
Thanks everyone for all the info. It will come in handy.

PS; A bag full of pellets that size would give an old bastard like me a helluva hernia.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
mootpoint
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
We have the MAK 1 Star and 2 Star Generals...the quality of smoke produced is amazing @ 225-250 which is where I smoke my big meats and ribs. MAK is coming out with the 3 Star General this Spring which may very well be a game changer for folks cooking at higher temps...stay tuned!
Do you have any additional information you can share, or is it just pure speculation at this point?
mootpoint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #21
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootpoint View Post
Do you have any additional information you can share, or is it just pure speculation at this point?
MAK Grills is one of our team sponsors. Talking with Bob (the owner) about the new MAK 3 Star has me very excited about being able to cook HNF on a pellet smoker. The design/engineering is proprietary (of course) but from what I understand it will produce the same quality smoke at 300-325 as it would at 225-250. I am hoping to test drive a prototype soon before it goes in to production.
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #22
begooode
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I recently starting using a pellet grill after 3yrs with the UDS. Love the grill, but I'm not gonna lie, my first shoulder had less smoke flavor than we were used to. 1 AMZN tube smoker later and everyone is good so far,... and BONUS, I finagled another toy,.. errmm, essential cooking tool, out of the deal!
begooode is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #23
mootpoint
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
MAK Grills is one of our team sponsors. Talking with Bob (the owner) about the new MAK 3 Star has me very excited about being able to cook HNF on a pellet smoker. The design/engineering is proprietary (of course) but from what I understand it will produce the same quality smoke at 300-325 as it would at 225-250. I am hoping to test drive a prototype soon before it goes in to production.
Thank you for the update.
mootpoint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #24
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've got a MAK 1 star and love the way it cooks. I do wish I could get more smoke flavor but I think it is my problem as these MAK's are winning comps. I cook butts, wings, thighs, steaks, ribs, no problem. Never tried a brisket on it. I love my Big Green Egg for briskets. My wife used to only use the gasser. Now she only uses the MAK.... :)

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #25
CircleW
On the road to being a farker

I am seriously looking at the Fast Eddy PG1000. I have heard nothing but good things about the smoke output and grilling with the charbroiler. Also this pit is well insulated for those New England winters. It is unfortunately quite expensive so I am saving my pennies. Perhaps by the spring I will be able to pull the trigger. Yoder is on the list too but the FE insulation keeps bringing me back.

Good luck with your search Dirtydingus !

-SS UDS-
Super, super fast YELLOW Thermapen!
Stoker
CircleW is offline   Reply With Quote