MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
djoseph74
On the road to being a farker

Default Trying to find information about a Smoke Hollow grill

Hi Everyone,

My first time here. I've been frantically trying to find information a specific Smoke Hollow grill. It seems this is either a newer company, or just not a popular one. The particular one I'm looking at is the Smoke Hollow Pro Smoker Deluxe Barrel Grill.

http://www.grillsdirect.com/charcoal...arrelgrill.cfm

That's the link to a product page for it.

Does anyone have any experience with this grill? It seems a great many do with the combo gas/charcoal. I guess its a 3mm thick steel. Is that good? I know the Horizon is highly touted and is 1/4".

My budget really is $600 and under. I have a 22" weber kettle that I love, but I need something for large parties. Is there another recommended smoker on this price level? This seemed to be more heavy duty than the Brinkmann Trailmaster and the Oklahoma Joe's.

-Dan
djoseph74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Southstar Jeff
Full Fledged Farker

I don't anything about that specific offset, but 3mm is .118 inch, quite a bit thinner then good 1/4 inch steel.

I think if you watch Craigslist, you can find a good one for a good price. I paid $500 for my original Oklahoma Joe's with 1/4 inch steel. I see ones like theirs all the time for 200-300, especially this time of year.

http://www.olp-inc.com/index.php
Smokey Joe Silver
RecTec
Southstar Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
djoseph74

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Is it best to stick with a 1/4" steel?

I'll keep an eye on craigslist, thanks for the tip. Although here in Michigan there just isn't much.

-Dan
djoseph74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
FlCracker
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks just like my brinkman trailmaster which is not a bad cheap offset.Good to learn on can put out good foodmdoesn't seem to need the mods my old NB offset needed.And before anybody jumps in I have WSM 18.5,a 500 gal cooker,a gas grill,had a spicewine med,cooked on 2 diff style stumps,and had a 6ft southern yankee.

If I were you I would go to home depot and look at the Brinkman Trailmaster,it is cheaper than the smoke hollow(at least when I got mine)but looks exactly the same
500 gal homebuilt smoker
FlCracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
djoseph74

Howdy,

I actually did just that. I ended up getting a 22.5" WSM instead. I was torn between spending $400-600 on something like that, and then I got a LOT of recommendations from people who love their WSM. Thanks for the feedback, I feel better knowing skipping the Smoke Hollow was the right decision!

-Dan

Old 01-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
harris92
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with Jeff. You may want to try Craigslist. Be patient and once you see something interesting act fast. I picked up two original Oklahoma Joe's and two original New Braunfels smokers for a fraction of their original cost. They required some cleaning but the restoration process was fun.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
djoseph74

The unfortunately part of my area, is that there is never anything like that for sale. There have been a couple competition level smokers posted, but they're well out of what my rage was. I'm going to keep looking at it though. Maybe eventually something cool will pop up. For now the WSM looks like it will serve me well.