Broth, Stock and Soup

B

BrooklynQ

We had our first cool weekend in NYC this weekend, and when that happens I get cravings for turkey, soups and stews.

Sunday I smoked a turkey. Came out pretty good. Everyone ate their fill and more.

Sunday night, I cleaned the carcass and made broth/stock. (Cover the bones in water, add celery, onion, a bay leaf, carrot and a little garlic. Bring to a boil, skim off the foam, and simmer till it's reduced by about 1/3. Strain it when it's done and you have a great broth/stock. Keep the seasonings minimal because you don't want this to overpower whatever recipe you use it in.) I do this all the time with chickens and beef marrow bones. My mother did it with pork bones as well. I like having home made broth on hand in the winter.

The broth/stock came out ok, but the smoke taste was a little more intense than I wanted. I cut it with some "regular" chicken broth/stock and it was much better.

So the question is. Does anyone else out there make their own broths/stocks from smoked meat bones? Anybody ever try it with rib bones? Any recipes, hints etc?

I know the bone (w/extra meat on it) from a smoked ham makes some great split pea soup, black bean soup, etc, ...........

Hell yeah. Sometimes I make the ham just to get the bone for Split Pea Soup. Ham and pork bones are also GREAT in spaghetti sauce.

BrooklynQ said:
Hell yeah. Sometimes I make the ham just to get the bone for Split Pea Soup. Ham and pork bones are also GREAT in spaghetti sauce.

Really? I never would have thought of a ham bone is spaghetti sauce. Don't understand the benifit of it. Italian sausage is what I use.
Explain the ham bone in the sauce please.

Havent used smoked bones yet but, I brown beef bones in the oven for beef stock always. Baking the bones until browned adds color and flavor to the stock.

I also like to reduce stocks to near syrup concentrations and pour into ice cube trays, then pop into ziplocks. If you cooking something that needs a bit of a flavor boost, pop in a cube, add beef to green beans or chili, or a chicken cube to rice to flavor it up a bit and I always add a chicken cube to cream gravy served with fried chicken. They work like bouillon cubes except the flavor is much better and not loaded with salt.

ALWAYS use smoked turkey and chicken bones for soups.. Dinosaur(beef ribs) too... makes never did a rib bone soup though.

Mom used to use hame shanks or bones in her tomato sauce.. she says it "smooths out" the sauce.. I've used it a couple times when the timing was right, but i prefer it in split pea soup. When i put it in the tomato sauce, it changed the flavor a little, not bad.. just not italian sauce to me.. tasted more like it came from the high school cafeteria.

when she was making pork brazool (sp?) she'd use the ham bone in the sauce. gave it a deeper flavor. She prefered a fresh ham bone, but would use smoked cured ham bones when she didn't have a choice.

Your bullion ice cubes - are exactly why i make my own. Better flavor, more control of salt etc.

Your bullion ice cubes - are exactly why i make my own. Better flavor, more control of salt etc.
Bouillon cubes and canned stock can't even hold a candle to a good home made stock. The kind that goes gelatinous when chilled.
Make chicken stock in the Crock-pot all the time. Makes great rice soup or broth for homemade noodles or chicken and dumplings. Nothing better on a cool evening than a hot bowl of chicken and dumplings or chicken and noodles, fat home made noodles with real texture.

BBQchef33 said:
ALWAYS use smoked turkey and chicken bones for soups.. Dinosaur(beef ribs) too... makes never did a rib bone soup though.

Mom used to use hame shanks or bones in her tomato sauce.. she says it "smooths out" the sauce.. I've used it a couple times when the timing was right, but i prefer it in split pea soup. When i put it in the tomato sauce, it changed the flavor a little, not bad.. just not italian sauce to me.. tasted more like it came from the high school cafeteria.

Phil, tell them the story of your pressure cooker exploding while making soup stock

Back