Dozen briskets for a wedding reception

hardy02ttu

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Two good friends of mine were married this weekend and they asked me too cook for the reception. They asked what I would charge to do the cook and since I have more time than money i told them to call it my wedding present. The day started off well enough but took a turn for the worst mid afternoon on Friday. Took my pit to where I was cooking and dropped it off and was heading home to finish getting ready and had a blow out on the pickup. Wouldn't have been a problem if the spare wasn't already on from running over a screwdriver on a dirt road last week. Got a ride and tracked down a used tire to get me goin again and was back on the road but running an hour and a half behind. Came home, got ready and booked it back to the reception. Started the fire about 830 with lump charcoal on top of cured wood. For this cook I used a mix of pecan, mesquite, and oak. Got side tracked drinking barley pop with the groom and when I checked the temp it was at 500! Closed it off and let the pit cool down to 250. Put all the rub on the briskets and tossed them on about 10. Temp held like a champ so I thought I would close my eyes for a bit about 4am. Got up at 7 to check it and the wind had changed and was blowing out of the north but the temp was about 215 so everything was still gravy. Moved the pit got back up to temp and wrapped the briskets. watched it till about 10 and then went to take a shower and a nap at the grooms house. Woke up about 12 and ill be damned if the wind wasn't out of the east now! Moved the pit again threw in a couple sticks of wood and let it go. Went back at 3 to pull the briskets off and tossed them in a cooler to set till the reception. Cut out of the wedding a little early to slice the briskets. Had to slice them a little thick because they were so tender you could cut them with a fork! After it was all said and done there were about 300 heads at the reception and maybe half a brisket left.

Sounds like a success to me. Looks like you handled the wind situation nicely too. That's one heck of a gift!!! Better they were a little over done, than under done. Nicely done job right there! Fork tender is a GOOD thing.

Bob

Yes sir it is. They ranged in weight from 9 lbs to 16 lbs so i did what it could

Back