MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #61
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I made up a cardboard case, that fits the edge guard as well. But, a true knife roll is the proper way to go. Of course, those cost more than your knife did. Maybe get a magnentic knife holder and mount it on the wall.
Yeah...plan is to get one of them once I move...but that's a couple of months away at least...

Worse case I'll leave it in the package until I find a long term solution.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #62
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
What do you do for a boning knife? I'd have that over a 10" serrated knife myself. Because you can cut bread with a chef's knife fine--if you keep it razor sharp.
I keep the boning knives at the restaurant. Probably have six or seven of them. But at home, no real need for one most of the time. This bread knife is fantastic for a lot more than bread. Like slicing ribs, brisket, roasts, etc.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #63
Novass
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

I buy the Sam's club bakers choice brand. They have 2 pack of santoku for around $16, 2 pack w/8" and 10" chef for about the same price. And 2 pack of boning knives. Hit them on a steel before you use them and they cut very well.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #64
Chopper Duke
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewookie View Post
No ****e... I retired from Moody. Spent my last 7 years there. Was a Pro Super in the 71st RQS and then did a little over two years as the Wing Flight Safety NCO. My Wife works on base.

VR,
Harold
Very cool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erle View Post
Like you, I did a lot of research - including taking a knife skills class at Sur la Table so I could use several brands. I cook about every night with the weekends spent smoking on my 18.5 WSM. Here are my opinions:
- Global: very light, too light in fact. Rubber nub bed handle felt odd to me and the handle was a little small. No bolster, only matters if you like them.
- Henckels Four Star: A top quality German knife with a classic rocker blade. Just a touch heavy for my taste, but a solid choice. Full bolster with a large comfortable handle but with a larger butt.
-Victorinox: very nice knife, well balanced with the bolster as part of the handle. Lighter knife.
-Wusthof Ikon Classic: Another solid German knife with a semi-bolster, medium size handle with a stainless steel cap. Also very solid knife with good balance

I opted for the Wusthof and have been very happy with it. It holds an edge well, requiring frequent honing, but has only needed a new edge twice in 11 months. I opted for the 8" model because I was unsure of my skill level. I now wish I had gone larger as several articles suggested. Your skills will grow as you use it and the additional length is useful periodically. Be aware that the largest Wusthof Ikon Classic chef knife is 9", versus the more common 10".

Hope this helps, good luck Chopper!
-
This helps a lot! I'm hoping to be able to take a knife class soon. May ask one of the chefs at school about that. I'm going with the Victorniox now and Amy upgrade to a Henckles later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
If you're only going to get one good knife, it needs to be a chef's knife. It is the most versatile knife. I have an 8" chef that accounts for about 90% of my knife usage.
That's why I went ahead with and got a 10" Victorniox chefs knife. It was on sale for a good price so I went with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotfehc View Post
The best suggestion as far as how to purchase or where is: dont buy on-line unless the price is better and you've held the knife in your hand already. You dont want to spend money on a knife then when you get it, if feels awkward to you. All handles feel different, the weights all feel different, combine the two and each knife really has its own feel in your hand. Many kitchen stores will also allow you to use the knife and chop a few vegetables before you buy. Not all Wusthofs feel the same in the hand.
And everyone has their own preference on the shape of the handles. The block squared edge handles look nice, but do you like that or a rounded handle. I dont like the size of the fibrox handles, but I like it works fine for my boning knife. I cut over 100lbs of product aday at work, I will not buy a squared handle, I dont need any more callouses. If you find a knife that fits you, then look on-line for a better price
That's what I did. One luxury about living in the Meto Atalanta area is we have a store for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I made up a cardboard case, that fits the edge guard as well. But, a true knife roll is the proper way to go. Of course, those cost more than your knife did. Maybe get a magnentic knife holder and mount it on the wall.
I want to get a magnetic holder but were renting where we're at and the people who own the home don't want holes in the walls of the kitchen.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #65
Blownmope
On the road to being a farker

I have a victornox, wont hold an edge.

Check out Mundials, high carbon, nice knifes, I like the pro handled ones with the relief on the handle.

http://www.mundial-usa.com/shop/10-mundi-grip-cooks-2-2

Old 01-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #66
revkab
is one Smokin' Farker

This is gonna sound crazy, but... The white handle knives they sell at Sam's Club are actually pretty terrific. They are inexpensive and the steel is pretty good. I have purchased the chef's knives, the double pack of Santuko knives, and the paring knives. I did buy a good quality steel at a restaurant supply company, and give any of my knives a couple of licks each time before I use them. I have used those knives for quite a few years and still love them. I recently took a tip to Puerto Rico and rented a small condo for a week, and was dismayed to discover they had nothing but a couple of cheap steak knives to cook with. I actually found a Sam's Club out there, and purchased a set of the Santuko knives there to use. Left one behind for the next user and took the other one home for a spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper Duke View Post
So I've decided I want, no, need at least one knife that wants purchased at the same place you can get your oil changed, pick up a pair of cheap jeans, a new TV and groceries. Yeah, you all know where I'm talking about.

So, I set myself a $50 limit, did a LOT of reading here and other place and the Victorinox seems to be a leading contender, especially for the price. I attend art school and asked a few of the culinary students what knives they use and the consensus was that most use what ever they get in their "kit" and wait until they graduate before getting anything decent it also appears the kits have changed based on whatever is cheapest for the school to get.

For usage, I smoke mostly butts and ribs (spare, St. Louis and baby back) but I also like to prepare some of my meals with fresh peppers and onions so I'd like something that can also cut through the larger peppers with ease. As far as grilling, I do chicken, burgers, steaks, hot dogs, the general grilling items as well as corn and veggies.

Then, The other day I decided to stop by Bed, Bath and Beyond the other day since it was on my way Home from school. I went to their cutlery section to put my grubby paws on some. No Victorinox, but they did have Calphalon, Wüstof and J.A. Henckels. After Handling them, I quickly ruled the Calphalon out. I really like the Henckels and as I was explaining to the nice young man who worked there, he suggested a Santoku over the 8" chefs. I gotta admit that I like the way it felt in my hand.

So, if you're still with me, based on what I stated my intended uses are I have a couple of questions:
Would a Chefs be better than a Santoku for the kind of cutting I need to do?
Is the quality and longevity of the Henckles enough to justify the price difference in comparison to the Victorinox?
revkab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #67
Teltum
On the road to being a farker

Simply Victorinox. I have had mine for a year, it is in need of a real sharpening I have used my 10" chefs for breaking down spares, slicing, chopping, mincing, basically everything except opening cans I have some junk ones for that I also have a bread knife because my chefs knife can not do crusty home made bread.

The blade is thin and it will slice you bad if you do not handle it respectfully. Not as thin as Shun not as heavy as Wusthof so it is a balance. It is a great all around knife. Plus the knife is less than 35$. It is worth every penny and if you drop it, it gets stolen or you use it as a pry bar, you won't cry like you broke a Shun or gets stolen like a Wusthof.

I also have a Chinese Henkles set of utility knifes (didn't have to pay shipping.) like 4 of em for 15$ and they are great knifes. My bread knife was bought at GFS for like 15-16$ (worth every penny). Honestly I like Victorinox and consider them the very best value to quality ratio you can buy. You can buy better knifes, you can always buy better, but price to quality nothing in this world is close.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #68
Smok'n n Joke'n
Full Fledged Farker

I don't even own a knife with a "brand name" on it....that being said, the knife's that i do use i keep "sharp" and "clean"...seem's to work for me....

Old 01-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #69
LI Pig Congress
Knows what a fatty is.

ergo chef!
LI Pig Congress is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #70
Chopper Duke
Got Wood.

Well, here's an update. I had ordered the 10" Victorniox chefs knife from DVOR along with a 3 piece set consisting of 2 pairing knives and a utility knife. They were all listed as shipping in 1-2 days. This past Thursday a box came in and I eagerly expected my knives. I opened it up to find just the 3-piece set. WTF?

So, I leave the next day for drill and get back Sunday night. No word from DVOR about the knife. I get on to check my account the next day and it shows it still hasn't shipped. At this point I decide to cut my losses and cancel the order so first thing yesterday I did just that.

Now what to do. I finally decide to just go with what I want and get a Henckels. I head over go Bed Bath and Beyond and pick up J.A. Henckels Twin Four Star ii 8" Chefs Knife. Worked out well for me since I used a 20% off coupon and they had a deal for a free small cutting board and trivet.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #71
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

10" victorinox chef
12-14" victorinox granton slicer
7" santoku. Don't need his but I like it
Boning knife
Couple paring knives.

I've used shun, wuustoff, henkels, victorinox. Can't be at victorinox for price and sharpness. I love shun for sharpness and overall weight but can't buy more knives :) whatever you buy it needs to suit you.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #72
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper Duke View Post
Well, here's an update. I had ordered the 10" Victorniox chefs knife from DVOR along with a 3 piece set consisting of 2 pairing knives and a utility knife. They were all listed as shipping in 1-2 days. This past Thursday a box came in and I eagerly expected my knives. I opened it up to find just the 3-piece set. WTF?

So, I leave the next day for drill and get back Sunday night. No word from DVOR about the knife. I get on to check my account the next day and it shows it still hasn't shipped. At this point I decide to cut my losses and cancel the order so first thing yesterday I did just that.

Now what to do. I finally decide to just go with what I want and get a Henckels. I head over go Bed Bath and Beyond and pick up J.A. Henckels Twin Four Star ii 8" Chefs Knife. Worked out well for me since I used a 20% off coupon and they had a deal for a free small cutting board and trivet.
Go onto amazon and buy from there.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #73
Chopper Duke
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfsu View Post
Go onto amazon and buy from there.
Ordinarily I do, but I got it for less than $120 out the door at BBB w/ their 20% coupon, plus I got a J.A. Henckels 9x9 Cutting Board and Silicone Trivet for free.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #74
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

I meant the victorinox chef, but if you are happy with the henckels, that's all that matters.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #75
Chopper Duke
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfsu View Post
I meant the victorinox chef, but if you are happy with the henckels, that's all that matters.
Oh, yeah, I probably will.