Zinc Plated Steel

J

Jalapeno

To use or not to use...that it the question.

Does anyone see any reason that zinc plated steel is bad for a smoker? I want to help someone make a baffle for their bandera and I found a good piece of this stuff laying around. Thanks for the help.

Jalapeno

Do NOT use! It's galvanized metal which is not healthy to use

chuck the galvanized.

Home depot:

For 8 dollars. A stainless steel mud tray used for holding joint compound. 16x16.

or for 14 dollars, a stainless steel kick panel for a door, not as thick as the mud tray.

22 dollars, Bed bath and Beyond. Stainless steel cookie sheet/baking sheet.

Free(or close).. 18x8 inch peice of Scrap at your local welders.

even cheaper, heavy gauge aluminum sheet 36x36, but the steel will last longer.

Sort of related to the topic.
I did the wally world cookie sheet mod last spring. Cleaned the cheese mess from last weekend and the cookie sheet disintegrated when I touched it. Going with either heavy gauge carbon steel or stainless next time.

Throw it out in the yard for a coupla weeks. If it rusts, use it. ;)

"What they said. Zinc plated is galvanized. Bad stuff."

What are the hex bolts and nuts I bought at Home Depot made of? I used 6 of them to connect a new firebox to a Bandera.

Smoker said:
"What they said. Zinc plated is galvanized. Bad stuff."

What are the hex bolts and nuts I bought at Home Depot made of? I used 6 of them to connect a new firebox to a Bandera.

steel, zinc(galvanized) or stainless. What did u buy?

If you bought the shiny ones - they are probably zinc plated (ie. galvanized but shiny). Unless you sprung for stainless!!

"steel, zinc(galvanized) or stainless. What did u buy?"

Now I got to go home and check. Well I like sticking my head in the smoker anyway.

chad said:
If you bought the shiny ones - they are probably zinc plated (ie. galvanized but shiny). Unless you sprung for stainless!!

What are the original bolts made of? They rusted pretty farken good so I assume they were steel. Stainless would be the way to go.

looks like a dull mill finish aluminum diamond plate. Unless its real thick, iut aint gonna hold up log on that firebox.

Hoo might know a little about how much heat aluminum can take. Or can't take.

According to Hoo aluminum can almost hold enough heat to make a pot of beans.
:biggrin:

It's melting point is alot lower than steel. Steel's melting point depending on the alloy is about 2500* F and aluminum is about 1250* F. It is entirely possible you could melt the aluminum.

I got a reply from the owner. It's a 1/4 stainless steel plate.

Back