New UDS for 09!

J

JDER30

Hello all!

This is my first post here and I am delighted to part of a humble community!

I came across this site while searching for a drum smoker design. Well I was so intrigued with the UDS that I went ahead a made my own , since I have access to several empty used non-toxic drums.

It took me 2 days I am very proud of my UDS!
I am posting some pics of my version hopefully y'all will like.

My version has a side shelf made from a drum lid and some decorative
shelf brackets.

JD_UDS_SHELF1.jpg

JD_UDS1.jpg

I also have a 14.5 X 14.5 X 7 charcoal box. This was made
used a steel framed box fixture for stage props (found several on the side of the road 3 years ago) The expanded metal is 3/4"-#9. I purchased a 48" x 48" sheet from Metals Supermarket (most major cities have these stores) for $32, enough to make two boxes. My charcoal box has a couple of built-in features; 1. The top portion can be used as handles for lifting the box in and out of the drum. 2. The box itself can be used as a campsite cooker I have a separate piece of expanded metal that fits perfectly in the recessed grooves around the top of the charcoal box.
JD_UDS_CBOX2.jpg

JD_UDS_CBOX3.jpg

The air intakes are 1" and I am using a 1" valve for regulating the air intake. After doing a trial run I found that this smoker maintained 240 degrees for 12 hours using two open inlets.
JD_UDS_chiminey.jpg

The exhaust is a 2" muffler tip I purchased from Advanced Auto parts for $4.99 The exhaust is held in place using a 2" conduit fitting which screws inside the 2" threaded bung hole on the lid.

I lucked up and came across a metal dolly which fitted my drum perfectly.
JD_UDS_dolly.jpg

Oh yeah I will post lots of BBQ pron!
I am going to be able to watch the Atlanta Falcons win the super bowl,
while using my new the UDS! :biggrin:

Lookin good! I like it. Maybe, if I build one, the Lions will go to the super bowl? Oh! I forgot,That's a bad word around here.

That is a nice built. Like the use of the lid, as a side table. Now, let's get it fired up!

That is a really nicely fab'd UDS - Thanks for the great pics! I will be building a UDS sometime in the near future and you have given me a lot of great ideas.

That side shelf made from the lid is an great addition. I may have to incorporate that into my next build.

Great post. Your UDS looks very nice. I like the firebox that is a nice multitasker. Great idea. You should post this in the UDS thread to keep all of the good UDS ideas together.

Nice drum.
A new drumhead joins the drumhead nation!!!!!!!!
I like the square box, seems that it should easily pull out of the drum without catching any of the bolts that hold the racks. And it could hold a drip pan for those that like to use them.

I'm all over that shelf idea. I have an extra lid in my garage taking space. Thanks for posting!!

Dude, great build but your missing something...A PORK BUTT AND A COUPLE FATTIES!

Go on fellow drum head...get 'er dirty!

and don't forget to take the pictures!

Looks great and congrats.
I would lower the intake at least 6" or you may have serious temp controll problems. Also perhaps pop a few small holes in the shelf so it drains?

Back