MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #31
brewerjamie15
Full Fledged Farker

CD-

I'm not sure I'd use one, but yes I'd cook in the DO. Now that I think about it though, it's probably against rules? I'll just use the smokey joe instead.

(Is a dutch oven ok to use? I'm using coal or wood as the heat source) Never saw rules about a dutch oven that I know of.....

Old 09-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #32
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Dutch ovens are allowed. You might put up a pic of you cooking in the DO just to make folks happy.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #33
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Cool category, looks like a job for my SmokinAussie inspired satay grill, aka SAI Satay Grill

Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #34
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm honest, I'm making a super tiny grill and serving you guys ONE stuffed cherry tomato. One bit of sausage and a twentieth of an onion and pepper.
twinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 09-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #35
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Well, if I don't find a SJ by this weekend, I have a backup plan:

[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #36
Sunra
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Yep, I have seen it. Although I am not so sure the better half would allow me to sacrifice her crock to that extent. Maybe I will just have to hit the thrift stores.

Besides, if Igotgas breaks out his secret weapon, this TD is already over anyway

Wow the competition is already steep!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #37
deguerre

Solved. 4.99 for the regular sized.

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #38
Redhot
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsfan View Post
I'm honest, I'm making a super tiny grill and serving you guys ONE stuffed cherry tomato. One bit of sausage and a twentieth of an onion and pepper.
I can't wait to see how that turns out!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]GOSM "Bubba Q", Stovetop Smoker "Lazy Girl", ET-73[/FONT][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]Avatar by NorthwestBBQ[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
Redhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #39
bigabyte

Default Mini-SPAM Burger on the NUDS (Nano Ugly Drum Smoker)

I have a Smokey Joe, but I wanted to build something small. I have also always wanted to build a UDS. So it seemed logical to build a small UDS.

I made it from a couple 6oz Tomato Paste cans using nothing more than 3 different can openers and aluminum foil.

I used an Old Fashioned can opener...

I used a twist-style cutting-edge can opener that slices the lid open...

And I also used a twist-style smooth-edge can opener that pops the lid up leaving no sharp edges.

I shouldn't have to post a picture of Aluminum Foil, I assume you know what that looks like.

I made 4 air intakes by using a twist-style cutting-edge can-opener by just puncturing a hole (no twisting). Then I spread the hole a little larger using the point of the old fashioned can opener.

I made the intakes adjustable by putting on a band from aluminum foil with holes that matched the location of the intake holes, and made sure to include a handle for ease of operation.

I made the lid by simply removing the top of a can using the twist-style smooth-edge can opener. This gives me a lid that can snap back onto the can giving a tight seal. I punctured 4 small holes in the lid with the old fashioned can opener, using two of them to install the aluminum foil handle, and the other two for exhaust.

In this shot you can see the charcoal basket in the bottom, and some aluminum foil straps to hold the grate in place. The charcoal basket is simply another lid that was cut off using a twist-style cutting-edge can opener (so it fits inside the can) and was punctured in 4 places with the old fashioned can opener. The holes give it airflow, and the punctured metal points serve as legs to make this lid stand up about 1/4 inch from the bottom of the can. The aluminum foil straps are pretty straightforward, but were installed through 4 holes at the top of the can made from the twist-style cutting-edge can opener (similar to how I made the air intakes).

This is my grate made from aluminum foil.

This picture is just to give you an idea of the size of the NUDS.

I lit a piece of lump charcoal and stuck it in the NUDS.

I then put the lid on and let it come to temp (it rose very quickly). I was going by feel as I do not have a pit therm of the appropriate size.

I then put in the grate.

And then I added a slice of SPAM to make a mini-SPAM Burger.

I put the lid on to let it cook.

Go figure, it started to rain! So I moved it onto one of my kettles under the safety of the kettle lid. A short while later I figured it was ready.

I put it on a bun and added a slice of cheese.

I would show you a pic from after the first bite to give you a view of the "doneness" of the burger, but it was all gone in one bite.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #40
deguerre

FOCUS!!! Focus dammit. Neat little smoker though.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #41
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
FOCUS!!! Focus dammit. Neat little smoker though.
I was having a hell of a time with focus tonight. Not sure why. The damn thing kept wanting to focus on something else. Oh well. I'm sure I had some setting off that I don't normally adjust.

Duh.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #42
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

^^^^^ I could see it fine. I think Guerry's focus issue was more to do with White Russians!
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #43
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ack, here it is again
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #44
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

Those little grills are pretty neat I keep a couple on the boat so I can cook hotdogs or hamburgers while out on the water with family and friends plus cleanup is so easy let it coo,l bag it up, and toss it out.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #45
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobBQ View Post
Those little grills are pretty neat I keep a couple on the boat so I can cook hotdogs or hamburgers while out on the water with family and friends plus cleanup is so easy let it coo,l bag it up, and toss it out.
Yeah, I almost went with a cube shaped piece of SPAM to call it a roast. I think this thing could hold a small meatball. I don't think a MOINK would fit though what with all the bacon and toothpicks and all that.

Duh.