MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Rover24
Full Fledged Farker

Default ABT Question

I want to try my hand at cooking up some ABT's, but my family really doesn't go for jalapeno's. I assume that the firey taste of jalapeno gets milder after smoking, but I was thinking about using poblano's instead. Would poblanos work, or would I be losing part of the soul of the ABT by getting rid of the kick?
Rover24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

I usually use poblanos, and they work really well, mainly because they're bigger than jalapenos and hold more bacon and cheese. Plus the wife doesn't like the heat from jalapenos as much.

EDIT: forgot the other reason I use poblanos and not jalapenos, the tray of jalapeno plants we bought from Menards in the spring grew up to be serranos, so we made jelly and salsa out of those and used the poblanos for ABTs. Was funny, cause I had never seen a serrano before this summer and kept waiting for our hellapenos to mellow out enough to eat raw.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Poblano's and Anaheims work great. If you can get whole Wax or Banana peppers, they work as well without as much heat.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Rover24
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the responses...I will try to get a few of each to find the type I prefer.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
LMAJ

I have soaked the peppers in diet Sprite and taken out the heat (I think after I cut them open...) No clue if it really worked or I just had really mild peppers but they had no heat to them at all.
The other thing you can do it get some of the small salad peppers - they work great for folks who don't like the spicy stuff - made them for my in-laws (who think pepper is "really" spicy and they ate them up.
They looked like this...
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
igolf2
is one Smokin' Farker

Just made 60+ ABT's for an employee night at the golf course - if you get the seeds and ribs out they really are not hot at all - I have also used the mini red, yellow, red sweet peppers and everyone loves those.
Turkey Fryer / Clam Steamer
UDS
Moink Certified!
igolf2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Soak them in milk for a few hours with no lid on the container. Sucks the heat right out of them to mild.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
Rover24
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleking View Post
Soak them in milk for a few hours with no lid on the container. Sucks the heat right out of them to mild.
Soaking the jalapenos in milk before eating them sounds a lot better than soaking my tongue in milk after biting into a live one!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover24 View Post
Soaking the jalapenos in milk before eating them sounds a lot better than soaking my tongue in milk after biting into a live one!
It works as long as you get the seeds and membrane cleaned out good. my pansy wife will even eat them I leave some on the hot side for me with no soak. I put a cover on the container one time and for some reason they stayed pretty hot. I have no scientific reason as to why though. YMMV

Edit: I also like to use the sweet cherry peppers and call them cherry bombs. My young girls will even eat them as the are very mild.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

+1 Annaheims

Old 10-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #11
NorthwestBBQ

In my experience BBQing Japs removes most of the heat...
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #12
Psyco Realm
On the road to being a farker

I concur with northwestBBQ.
now lets try it with the Dorset Nagas...hehee
Psyco Realm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
BBQ Grail

Remove the seeds and veins and soak them in regular Sprite for 24 hours. That will remove most of the heat. Then make your ABTs as you normally would.

Now...for those that do like a little heat use the Sprite to spritz your pork butts or ribs.

Where is Sacto are you?

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #14
tjv
Full Fledged Farker

just remember to wear the latex gloves while handling the jalapenos, not sure about the poblanos.
tjv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv View Post
just remember to wear the latex gloves while handling the jalapenos, not sure about the poblanos.
+1, but poblanos don't get that hot.

That said, different people react differently to capsaicin, between me and my wife we seeded a couple pounds of serranos last month for canning hot pepper jelly.

She thought the gloves were slowing her down so ditched them fairly early on, and I never use gloves for peppers.

She was up all night trying various home remedies to get the burning off her fingers. I was up all night helping her and wondering why I only had a slightly warm feeling.
ymmv.