MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
raybob
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Smile firebox repaire started

just took my bandera firebox to my brothers house for repaires.for the price of a tank argon gas {20.00} for his mig welder.he has all the plate steel for repaires.can't wait.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds great! Hope it comes out better than new! Cheap fix! Bet your brother winds up with some great que once its all done.

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
22.5 " WSM X2
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default new metal

RayBob, I had that done a year ago. Well worth the investment. Check this out:

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2006, 03:11 PM   #4
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

I wonder if when the repairs are done, is a heavier guage of steel used to replace and do the repair? If so, has it helped noticably with temps?

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
Brauma

John, heavier guage steel is bound to help hold heat. I never did a before & after test on mine. When I got the Bandera last April it was a complete rust bucket. I found this site and one of the Brothers hooked me up with his welder friend. The rest is history.

One of the things that I have been meaning to do is add firebricks to either the firebox side or cooking chamber side or both. That's bound to hold heat as well.

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan

Old 06-25-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Yea I know the best thing I ever did for my BSKD was get a SPicewine Basket. I don't know if it's the fact that it holds the coal closer so the heat consolidates or the heavy guage metal it's made of or a combination of both. The thing is that the heat control has been incredible comparesd to the fights I had with it before. I do the SandPan in mine to help hold heat instead of the water. Once it's up to temp, it's a beautiful ting.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians

Old 06-26-2006, 07:46 AM   #7
raybob
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

thanks for the photo Brauma mine was burned out at the very same place.were useing 1/8 plate to repair hope this is thick enough.im also putting a peice of heavy grate steel in the botton.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
Brauma

They used 1/8' plate to do mine and it works fine. They did a hell of a job I must say.

Check out my baffle. Im using a piece of the plate as a heat plate which is laying on top of SS threaded rod. You'll see the threaded rod in the above photo. Instead of bolts in the top holes, I used threaded rod with nuts on each side. Works great.

Just to keep experimenting, I want to get a piece of sheet metal and stamp louvers in it starting about 2" in from the firebox. Always thinking and experienting.

The white chit is crisco for the seasoning!

Old 01-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
MEAT
Got Wood.

Question for the masses......going off Brauma's last post above/using a 1/8 metal plate......what other materials can be used as a heat conductor?
MEAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #10
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

I used a sheet of rolled Aluminum flashing I bought at Lowe's some time back. Make sure it's not the Zinc coated stuff, only the plain Aluminum sheeting. You can use the templates from the Bandera bible and a pair of tin snips and you're in bussiness.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:38 PM   #11
MEAT
Got Wood.

Thanks JT.....I just purchased a Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe and I'm looking to make some enhancements. I've also heard that firebrick is good at conducting heat. Maybe even clay tiles.
Also, can you recommend any type of sealant that I might use around the fire box area for keeping smoke from escaping?
Thanks.....
MEAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #12
smokinbadger
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEAT
Thanks JT.....I just purchased a Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe and I'm looking to make some enhancements. I've also heard that firebrick is good at conducting heat. Maybe even clay tiles.
Also, can you recommend any type of sealant that I might use around the fire box area for keeping smoke from escaping?
Thanks.....
Actually, fire brick is a terrible conductor of heat. It does, however, have very high heat capacity, which helps to even out the pit temperatures during fluctuations in the fire temperature. Have a look at the Bandera 101 document for examples of home made silicone gaskets.

Klose Widebody MasterChef * XL BGE * WSM * Weber Performer * La Caja China * Cookshack 055 *
Big Stainless Gasser *
smokinbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

I'm experimenting right now and haven't gotten anything put back together yet. I tore my BSKD apart and spent the better part of 3 weeks wire brushing and Dremel tooling the bad rust out and reapinting the entire unit in an attempt to salvage it before it became too unsalvageable. I was going to take before and after pistures of it but then thought better in fear of beeing banned for letting my smoker get to that state.

I'll have a few after pics later when I start putting things back together and post them in a new thread, hopefully in a few days.

When I was cleaning it, I got some High Temp silicone caulking and placed it arond the top seam of the box and the door of the smoker. I cleaned the area around the outer edge of the door and spread a heavy bead of the caulking aournd it to creat a type of seal. I had tried it once before and closed the door in an attempt to creat a custom seal but it failed miserably and the Vaselinse I had spread along the rim of the smoke box didn't preent the silicon from sticking. And, I never really was able to get it all cleaned off the box after I did it. Anyway, I'll post more after I do my reassembly and post picks.

Tags
bandera