I've melted a hamburger bun sack to the lid. That was a pain to get off. still has a little spot on it. Other than that no mods really. I did make an elevated rack for the WSM out of a 18" grate and some SS bolts, and I use it more in the 22.5 kettle than the WSM. It is great for Roadside chicken or anything else that would benefit from the extra space between the coals and the food.

I have enjoyed one for years
Gave it to my Son Kyle today
when They bought me a Ranch Kettle for Fathers day

I did this to my SJP (little kettle)...:biggrin:

IMG_4169.jpg

IMG_3435.jpg

IMG_3432.jpg

I rescued this guy from certain doom and neglect...then added a thermometer in the lid...:biggrin:

IMG_4371.jpg

IMG_4372.jpg

I’ve used Weber kettles since I was 16 (I’m 39 now). My parents had this huge/fancy natural gas grill. One day our Ace Hardware had a sale so I bought one. That was the best burgers I’ve ever had. Been hooked ever since.

I just wish Weber would come back out with the red colored ones. I’d be buying three of them. One for cooking and the other two…just in case.

i have three 22.5 kettles. i need about four more. i like looking at them and cooking on them. i'm hard pressed to justify using anything else for grilling or low and slow. i think they are as close to perfect as a tool can get.

I really love my Weber's too. I have done some extreme mods to my 22.5, because I wanted a side burner and shelf, which were chronicled under the FrankenWeber thread and have done a few more mods (added hook for Cast Iron Pan, mounted the grill tools and the propane tank) so here is the final result...

FrankenWeber.JPG

Also I made smokers out of two 18.5 kettles I had and those are chronicled under the Bride of FrankenWeber thread, and I have mounted both of these on casters, but don't have a recent photo. So this is basically what they look like...
Bride.jpg

I also made a custom water baffle from some beer cans for the 22.5 chronicled under the Smokin on the kettle thread and have since made a revised version out of a coffee can, and some aluminum tape.

I am thinking I am going to do the Mods to my SJP that JD did, but haven't quite gotten enough time recently.

Love my Weber equipment. Top of the rung for the backyarder like myself IMO.

Personally, I think that when the Germans invented the Bratwurst, they did so knowing that in the fullness of time Mr. Stephens and Mr. Weber were going to invent and market the kettle grill.
They were made to be together.

One of the first things i bought when i moved into my first apartment (1980) was a 22.5" kettle. I still have it. It has faded to a mottled gray, has one wheel that falls off, is missing half of the handle and has a dent in the lid from my wife's car, but it still cooks! I call it "Lucky". I now have an older model Performer and, as of yesterday at the Elk Grove IL Rib fest I have a One Touch Silver still in the box. It may be time to retire "Lucky".

I love my weber kettle. I beleve I have had three. Got my team a second in chicken at a Comp

So far I've rescued 2 from cl(10 bucks each), and one from the neighbors trash.
One from the neighbors trash is used almost daily, and one of my others was morphed into my uds.
Seems that all of them were hardly ever used, cleaned up real easy.

I love looking at the news at the hardware store for.......$84.00.

N8man - Nice!

Started my outdoor cooking on a kettle. It is tired and I need to dump it on one of y'all. Cooks great, looks good, but the lid does not fit perfect due to a fall on the top handle. Pop gave me a Performer so the 22.5 needs to go. May post a thread one of these days to off load the old one.

Everyone should have to try a Kettle.

I was never really into Weber kettles until i saw a Yellow Homer Simpson 22.5" on craigslist for $20. I thought it was one fugly grill! I posted it on the WSM board and people started responding about how rare they were, it was gone by the time I replied, but someone off the site got it. Then someone was lamenting the fact that Weber should not have discontinued the Red Kettles-sometimes these are a dime a dozen around here. So I started picking them up. I'm partial to the Reds and I've flipped a few, had a Green for about an hour and sold it and I'm rebuilding a Genesis gasser with a Blue lid to match a Master-Touch to take to my Moms house. Free to cheep is how I roll with them.

100_2302.jpg

Sometimes they need a little attention and paint

100_2282.jpg

100_2283.jpg

Blue Master-Touch w/rotis ring

100_1425.jpg

Rescued during the Winter months.
Yellow Bar-B-Kettle with no date stamp.

100_2100.jpg

What to do with the stray kettle that you used the lid for a UDS???
Weber Redneck firepit!

100_1714.jpg

100_2326.jpg

100_2303.jpg

100_2607.jpg

It all tastes better on a RED Weber!

There is a house down the road from me that has one the yellow kettles as pictured above out in their yard, but it is missing the legs. Next time I see someone out in the yard, I may stop by and see if they are willing to sell it.

Back