MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

Default WSM Achieving Low Temps

I have the large WSM, and switched to sand in the tray. Since doing so, the cooker runs hotter.

At first I thought it was because I was using Royal Oak lump, but this morning I am running it with Kingsford blue started with the minion method (about 1/3 chimney). I closed the vents all the way down to about 15-20% when it reached 200.

When I put the butt in, I noticed decent sized flames on the coals - wasn't expecting that.

Anyway, with the vents closed down that much it's running at 275. (the lid thermometer is fairly accurate). I was hoping to to see if I could get it to run at 225 today.

BTW, it's 36 outside right now.

I am going to close two vents, but do you think the door could leak that much to stoke the coals?

I have an IQUE 110 on order.

(I"m ok running at 275, just want the option to cook at 200-225 without using water)
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I'd try using few lit coals at the beginning. Maybe 8-10 coals.

There's nothing wrong with letting it rip @ 275, results will be the same (IMO) and you get to sleep more.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

I figured it out - had to get past the rule about not closing down the top vent. With one vent open 25%, the 2 other closed, and the top vent open 50%, it's been holding 225 for a a while.
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote