MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
ksu1971
On the road to being a farker

Default Pitmaster IQ110 and 300+ degrees

Ok guys I must be doing something wrong here and am looking for some assistance.

I got the IQ110 as a Christmas present and have given it a couple runs and typically I do not cook this high but these two cooks require temps in the upper 290 to 300+ degrees. I cooked a turkey one time and you need the heat to get the crispy skin and then I did some appetizers for New Years eve that had bacon and you need the higher heat to crisp up the bacon.

The first cook I contributed the 16 mph breeze we had that day as to why I couldn't get it above 280 but this last cook there was no breeze and still could not get above 285. On both cooks I had to end up opening the additional vents to get enough air to get to 300.

Here is my game plan for the latest cook.
  1. I used a full chimney of lite KBB this time
  2. I let the cooker get up to 295 before shutting down the other two intakes and turning on the IQ110. I was shooting for 300.
  3. Both cooks I ran with an empty foiled water pan.
  4. Both cooks I ran the damper fully open on the IQ.
  5. I have the IQ clipped to my Maverick probe holder.
  6. Since I cannot get an actual reading I slowly dialed back the temp to what the Maverick was reading and the IQ said it was at temp (solid green) so I assuming the probe is at least close to accurate.
Both cooks after I turned the IQ on to start controlling the temp dropped anywhere between 15 and 20 degrees before it started to rise again which is probably what should happen but it could never get me back to the point I was when I shut down the other vents.

What could I be doing wrong here?
[/COLOR][/B]Maverick ET-732
ksu1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
ksu1971

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Lobsterbake
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

I had a pitmaster and returned as I couldn't get to work very well. I got a BBQ Guru and it works awesome. I got the CyberQ but the Digi Qi is super as well but no wifi.

Mark
Lobsterbake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I haven't tried many cooks over 300 on my WSM with my IQ. When I have though I noticed in general that using just KBB makes it tough to keep temps above 300. And I run it dry as well. When I have done hotter cooks I have either mixed in some Royal Oak lump or run only RO.

The other solution and a pretty simple one was what you mentioned about opening additional vents more. Other may have other suggestions, but really it might just be that the WSM has trouble doing over 300 with the IQ....unless you give it a little help like opening more vents or adding some lump. Both I think are good solutions though because they work.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
ksu1971

Awesome idea it hadn't even occurred to me to use lump. I will give it a shot next time. I am assuming on cooks say 275 and below the IQ performs pretty good?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

When I decided to try running in the 300 range on my wsm I could never get it that high and maintain using kbb. Even with everything wide open and no water in the pan. Once moving to lump I had no problem getting there. I'd try switching fuel and see how it goes.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

I routinely cook at 350 with kb starting with a full chimney of lit.

Does the end of your tube have a washer/restrictor in it? If so, take it out.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
LittleHill Smoke

I ran mine yesterday with my kettle set at 300 with top vent wide open. I was cooking a 13# packer. Had my maverick running to. I was getting temps from the maverick from 187-315 during the cook while the IQ held a steady green light. IQ temp probe was clipped to the grate handle. We had no wind but outside temp was low 50's to high 40's. Thanksgiving I had trouble pushing 250 while it was low 40's-high 30's outside so I just cranked the heat dial up. Just my experience in the short time I've had my IQ.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu1971 View Post
Awesome idea it hadn't even occurred to me to use lump. I will give it a shot next time. I am assuming on cooks say 275 and below the IQ performs pretty good?
Yeah I haven't really had many issues with my IQ on my WSM. Sometimes it overshoots, but I make sure to set it a little lower at first so not as much charcoal gets lit and stabilizes. Then I bump it to the temp I want.

I normally cook 225-275 depending on my mood or how fast I want the meat to cook and it runs great at those temps.

Tags
Pitmaster IQue 110