MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
AZScott
Take a breath!

Default Commisary Agreements

I'm in the process of trying to find a commisary so I can start catering. I have quite a few churches and other club facilities by me and I'm going to start approaching them. When talking with them, what things do you think I should discuss with them? I'm thinking refrigerator space, equipment available, potential placement of a conex to store my wood, equipment and smoker. My next question is what would or do you pay for your space? Do any of you do events for them for a reduced rate or free kitchen use? I'm trying to do this without having a commisary eat into my profits so I'm completely open to creative ideas. Thanks for any help or ideas.

Scott

Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
themidniteryder
Knows what a fatty is.

I have never used a commissary, but will be forced to in the future it looks like. The #1 question on my list would be security. A conex would help in storing your equipment, but what about stuff stored in their reefer? And do you really have to store your wood at a commissary?
Old 02-07-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

on paper only..unless you do not have on board fridge/freezer/wash area then you are stuck to thier rules of the house..
Old 02-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

This is all second hand from folks I know...

1. Hours of use. It is important to have a minimum amount of time, and a set time when you can have the kitchen. Work with whoever it is you are contracting with, to set it up.

2. Storage should be secured, this is not necessarily in the fridge, but, for certain, other consumables should be locked in a cabinet of your own. Check for pest, really, nobody wants to run afoul of pests.

3. In terms of the fridge and/or freezer, take a look and make sure they are following good practices in terms of containers, labeling and organization. People who keep a sloppy commercial kitchen are often more careless with borrowing ingredients and not taking care of your food.

4. Verify that during your hours of operation, you will be the only one using the kitchen and all of the equipment will be available for your use.

5. Verify that if/when things break, there is an understanding of who is responsible for what, especially notifying you if something breaks when you are not there. It is no fun to arrive for your hour and a half of time to find the oven is not working, or the lights do not turn on, or the freezer broke and your food spoiled.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->