Injected vs non-injected, backyard butt battle live.

You're basically sorta kinda injecting my finishing sauce. Great job, really glad it worked out. I'll be happy to experiment on my next one.

Thanks for doing all that work and sharing your results, much appreciated.:-D

That's a great example of what I really like about this forum!

KC

I'm glad you did the side by side comparison. IMO it is just common sense that anything that is injected can't help but be better. That last few butts I've done were noticeably better and they were all injected. They all have cooked faster and I have had many more compliments on my pulled pork than ever before. It takes like 5 minutes to inject so I say why not.

Injected..

Nice thread guys. I've put a 5kg (11 lb) butt on this morning at 6.40am UK time. I've injected with Chris Lilly's championship injection and rubbed with Pitt Cues house rub. I've set the temperature at 105°c (220°f). Wrap or not to wrap, that is the question. Any advice would be good. I'll let you all know how I get on later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 165
Here's the rub I used.

1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons dry mustard
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons course ground pepper.

This is Myron Mixons's basic rub WITHOUT the cayenne. There is just enough kick without it. I also put a nice coating (not heavy) of very course ground pepper on the butts before the rub and slathered them with mustard before doing anything.

The injection the night before was...

1 cup apple juice
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 brown sugar
1/4 cup salt
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons worchestershire sauce.

My panel of judges.

My wife
My daughters male "friend" (I clean my glock and polish my badge when he's around)
3 proud Texan's living next door.

Texans.
9.5 to 8.5. injected wins
8.7 to 8.1 injected wins
9.8 to 9.0 injected wins

the dumb kid.....8.7 to 8.5 injected wins

wife.....injected wins, " I aint got time for your stupid point system".

myself. I actually liked the injected.

The injected cooked faster, but there are several factors that could skew that.
You could definitely taste the flavor from the injection.
The meat did seem to be moister but they were both tender. (I did have a water pan in the smoker)

Smoked with oak, apple, and a few hickory chunks.
275ish, fat cap down, foiled in pan at 165 with 1 cup apple juice.

With THIS rub and THIS injection, the injected butt won hands down.

Thanks for the comments and posts.

First off, thank you for standing in the gap in the field of Law Enforcement.

Secondly, thank you for this test. It validates what I do with my pork butts.

Thirdly, thanks for the injection recipe! Gonna use that next time!

Injected butt complete

My first time injected butt hit 192°f internal temperature after 11 hours. I hit a stall about 6 hours in, so spritzed with vinegar, double wrapped in foil and maintained 220°f. Removed and rested for an hour. Then pulled. It was beautiful and soft with a nice smoke ring. I will be using this method again, and might try the vinegar injection that land shark suggested. Thanks for all the tips bros.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 127
If you try the injection the original recipe called for 1/2 cup salt, not 1/4 cup.

I cut the salt in have just to cut the salt, and I figured the soy sauce and worcestershire would already have high salt content.

The butts were not salty at all, and you could just taste a hint of the worcestershire, but none of the soy (which was good).:thumb:

I started out not wanting to inject 'cause I'm a lazy bastige, but after a few trials I couldn't deny that I got better results with injecting. I'll use the Chris Lilly recipe (with salt cut in half) and sometimes I used smoked pork stock that I make from bones from whole pig cooks, and sometimes I'll just kinda mash the 2 together. The last pig I did was the first one I injected and people who have been to several of my pig roasts could tell I had done something different and really liked it.

Not injecting is fine as well - I've certainly been very happy with just straight up pulled pork cooks, but when there's a little bit of time to play with, I'll be shooting those things up - if it makes the end product taste a little better ubetchurass I'll do it.

Great thread - thanks for putting it up!

Back