MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #31
orangeblood
Full Fledged Farker

use a simple rub with the sugar content that creates the bark you like

spend most of your time and energy on making sure you have a good fire that burns clean and maintains constant low temps throughout the cook

the rest is hocus pocus (secret rubs, slathers, bbq sauces, exotic wood, etc)

over the top bbq speaks for itself

just my $0.02 ....Good Luck!!
orangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #32
MetalAged
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : George

I plan on trying an experiment with a whole bone in shoulder this weekend for my Memorial Day Belmeat. The plan is to smoke the day before until 150 degrees, wrap overnight in a cooler and then steam with apple juice and water to temperature, similar to how you would do for a pastrami. Let you know how it goes

Old 05-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #33
Peter B
On the road to being a farker

I brine the butt for a couple of days, dry rub, smoke and wrap with butter, toasted garlic and Rosemary. When the butt is ready I let it rest and I shred it. I let it sit in the refrigerator over night. The next day I heat it up on the stove. I start with diced onions in butter, then garlic and some white wine. Add the pork and let it soak up all of that flavor.

You could then make a vegetable rice with onion, more garlic and red pepper and add the shredded pork for ridiculous flavor.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-20-2019, 11:23 AM   #34
highergr0und
Full Fledged Farker

Most folks are just used to pork being boring so they go straight to covering it in sauce...

I used to be a big proponent of cooking straight thru to get that bark super dark, pulling it, then adding a bit of rub in for a flavor boost, but lately I've been experimenting with wrapping with a sauce made of ACV, apple juice, worstershire and a few misc spices, then saving the sauce, separating fat, and adding it back to the meat with a bit of rub. My goal is to enhance the meat and add flavor without folks thinking it's already sauced.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:25 PM   #35
NC Native
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : NC Native

Chop it up, splash of vinegar sauce. There's beauty in simplicity.
NC Native is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 12:06 AM   #36
OferL
is One Chatty Farker

Wow so many good tips. Thanks all!
OferL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 01:18 AM   #37
keodark
Knows what a fatty is.

To all the folk who wrap: Can you achieve the same results with better bark if you just place a pan with a calculated amount of water underneath, such that the evaporation of the water doesn't *quite* dry out before the drippings after the stall replenish them? And then use that instead of foil juices? For me, the joy of pulled pork (versus braised shoulder) is the pieces of crispy bark mixed in...

Also, I'm a big proponent of using some (at least) of the rendered fat from the pork when mixing back into the meat. Nobody eats BBQ for health, why throw away all that flavor? Sure, remove the chunks of fat that haven't rendered, but the liquid fat is gold, especially for reheating.
keodark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 05:26 AM   #38
BrandonBBQ

Name/Nickname : Brandon

I've done about 30 individual pork shoulder cooks in the past year trying to hone in something and I pretty much have settled on

1) Rub outside with salt, honey mustard, and Oakridge (either comp or secret wep)

2) Inject with Peach Apple Juicy Juice, Oakridge Game Changer, and a shot or 2 of Franks Red Hot

3) Cook @ 225 on grates until 165 IT, then foil pan and wrap with a little Peach Apple Juicy Juice

4) Cooler @ 202-204 IT for as long as I need then pull with a little more Secret Weapon rub and the drippings from the foiled pan.

My wife ends up eating more of it than I do, and she's a pretty damn picky eater.

I figure if the best Qers in the world rub, injection, and foil its a good place to start.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

[B]On the 24' porch trailer:[/B]
Stumps XL Stretch

[B]On the patio:[/B]
BBQ Guru Shotgun - Grilla Grills Silverbac Alpha - WSM 22 - Weber Q2200 - Masterbuilt MES 130B
BrandonBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #39
ThePerfectBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
Cook a whole shoulder.It will take 24 hours or so at 250 f.If you cannot find that,cook a butt and a picnic and add them together,same thing.Just keep it simple,salt,pepper,garlic,,whatever rub you like.They are very forgiving.Good Luck.
I never thought about doing a whole shoulder... so even if I buy them separate like you did, it'll take like 24 hours? Not the normal 10-12 like a lone butt would?
ThePerfectBeard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #40
Michigan BBQ Fan
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Scott

The best PP I've ever pulled off used Chris Lilly's rub and injection. Be sure to let it warm up a bit so it can take the injection. I double wrap or put it in a pan to catch the juices. Once pulled I pour the juice over the pork and dust it with a finer ground version of the rub. Enjoy.

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

!!!Welcome to the BBQ REVIVAL!!!
Michigan BBQ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #41
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

There's a theme here. Re-introducing some form of flavored liquid is the "secret".
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2019, 03:29 PM   #42
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Shhhh....dont tell

Old 05-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #43
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Well timed thread. I am actually in North Carolina this week on business. First time to travel this fine state. Stopped by Lexington BBQ yesterday for lunch. Sorry no pics. It was good. I got the large tray with coarse and regular chopped. It was good. A tad bland though, but very moist. People there are super nice. Today some clients took me to Parkers's in Wilson, NC, which also does fried chicken and catfish. It is Easyern so they do whole hog. I liked it a little better. The sauce had a little more pop to it.

I really enjoy the NC Q so this weekend I want to do some quasi Carolina Q. Will do a small butt just because I don't want a ton of leftovers. Will use an eastern type sauce though. Seasoning on the butt will be simple salt and pepper, no injection and no wrap for stout bark

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2019, 08:06 PM   #44
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Interesting replies.Thank you for asking the question.Thin BLUE smoke,my friend.THIN BLUE smoke is your friend.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2019, 08:10 AM   #45
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I currently inject with Butchers- 1/3 cup and 1/4 cup packed brown sugar Add 2 cups apple juice the fill the quart container with bottled water I put the whole quart in the butt When it his 165 I wrap in foil and add Stubbs pork marinade and take off grill when done No ever complains about it
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote