MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:41 PM   #46
davidparker
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I just get my guests really drunk and tell them all sorts of lies about my special ingredients. Seems to work...

Thanks from: --->

Old 05-24-2019, 06:29 AM   #47
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd have to agree with the majority here, an injection really helps to create a tender, moist, and flavorful pulled pork.

The type of injection used doesn't matter as long as you like the end result.

I used to use the Chris Lilly Injection with great success, but I find I prefer Oakridge Game Changer Brine mixed half strength with fruit juice and sometimes with a fruit juice/ginger ale mixture.

Oakridge Game Changer also makes it simple for small cooks, simply dissolve 1 Tbs Game Changer into one cup of juice, and inject 1 ounce of liquid for every pound of pork.

Many will tell you that pork has enough internal fat to keep the meat plenty moist when cooked. I do not disagree with this, but sometimes we brine/inject for flavors, not for moisture or tenderness. I also feel that injecting the meat also helps to improve texture, allowing it to pull in very long strands. In my experience, the long strands are more pleasing to the eye of the patron/guest as the meat looks more substantial. Lastly, yes added tenderness and moisture will be present, that is not why I inject my pork, but it is truly an added benefit.

When cooking injected pork butts I find the bone begins to wiggle at about 185-187°, I pull and rest the pork in a cambro/cooler for 3 to 4 hours, and pull the pork just before serving. I find the OakRidge Game Changer Brine keeps the pork exceptionally tender, moist, flavorful, and it pulls in very long strands which is great for sandwiches.

Remove the drippings pan and refrigerate. Once chilled, the fat will solidify, and the fat can be scraped off.
When the meat is removed from the rest, the juices can be added back into the hot pulled pork, with a little extra rub if desired.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 05-24-2019 at 10:34 AM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #48
khs282
Full Fledged Farker

K.I.S.S. Lately, I've only been seasoning with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Then wrap at the stall, then wrapped in towels in a cooler for couple hours once its probe tender.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #49
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

I almost never inject but I do wrap. When I wrap I will but some more rub, juice or apple cider vinegar. When I pull the meat out I will reserve the juices after they have been through a fat separator and put it back into the meat once pulled.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #50
khs282
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foam2 View Post
.....When I pull the meat out I will reserve the juices after they have been through a fat separator and put it back into the meat once pulled.
Fantastic idea! Haven't done that before, but I will give it a go next time!

Old 05-24-2019, 11:23 AM   #51
khs282
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidparker View Post
I just get my guests really drunk and tell them all sorts of lies about my special ingredients. Seems to work...
And keeps them guessing so they can't copy you!

Old 05-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #52
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : N/A

I just tried a totally new game plan on a 10lb butt today. Injected as usual with apple juice with some R butts r smokin Ozark heat. Yellow mustard slather with John Henry’s pecan base layer and BPS sweet money on the outside. Foiled at 155 with Heath Riles butter bath and put it back on

Waiting for 190 to start probing for tenderness, then at least a 2 hour cooler rest

Old 05-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #53
lawndog19
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Jeff

I inject it with Arizona fruit punch and then a rub with honey garlic turns out pretty good guys at work always want me to bring that to cookouts
lawndog19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2019, 01:20 AM   #54
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John
Default What's your tips for putting pulled pork over the top?

Coarse salt and smoke.
Chop don’t pull

Old 05-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #55
Whitney
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Smoke and Salt works great!!

You are correct SirPorkaLot!!! This is a half-butt and small picnic - smoked to 190 with just the salt - pulled - sauced - chopped. Tastes great!! Querry's Slaw is in the fridge awaiting lunch - thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nc bbq.jpg (58.6 KB, 48 views)
Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #56
wire-it-up
is one Smokin' Farker

Just threw a couple of butts on the WSM. Soaked for 12 hours in a brine, and injected with Chris Lilly's injection recipe. Nice coating of Lambert's rub. First time trying the Lambert's, but it looks good. I have found that making my own rubs from scratch isn't noticeably better than store bought rubs, so I buy what I like, for convenience. However, this is substantially more expensive than making your own rub, I think.
wire-it-up is offline   Reply With Quote