MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Initial smoke time for spares?

I just picked up two racks of spares (single pack) at Costco. They are about 8.5# total weight. I plan on trimming them into St. Louis cut spares before I smoke them. My question is how much time should I give them naked on the smoker before I foil? Using a UDS, first time with ribs, don't want to screw it up. Thanks. Planning on following an APL recipe, will foil for 1.5 hours, unwrapped for 20 minutes, sauced, back on for 30. My drum will hold 225 to 250 for hours.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

I actually quit the foil thing. When I did foil it was between 2 1/2 and 3 hours. On a UDS @ 235
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks bluetang, how much did size affect the time before foiling? Also, out of curiosity, why did you stop foiling?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

As to the "3-2-1" method, all the numbers are too long if cooking direct in a drum. Just go by appearance, foiling once your ribs look the right color, and don't leave in the foil too long. Also, don't add much AJ at all, if any. Oh, and don't leave on drum much after foiling.

See a trend here?
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

So almost more of a hot and fast technique?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
So almost more of a hot and fast technique?
Cooking direct, the uds cooks much faster, so yeah, it's just like cooking at higher temps. My best ribs recently have been at 275-300, smoked for roughly 2 hr, one hour or so til tender in foil, then just a few minutes to glaze and/or let the grease drip off. If cooking at 250 or just above, you're times might not be that far off.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote