MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
SDAR
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
Get on the Twitter if your not, its my preferred social network, lots of Que guys there. I'll be all over and hope that at some point I can settle in. Not limiting the "mobile" part of the operation as I have multiple weekend gigs lined up in August already.

I have a quote from the guys at PM for some smokers. Vertical just seems to make the most sense at this point and, rolling down here with an SP or OH, is probably not going to get folks to stop.

going to try and squeeze Bedford in as perhaps the last hurrah on the competition circuit, if your going let me know.
We decided not to do Bedford this year. It was way too hot and expensive from Amarillo. Hope you do well.
SDAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #17
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good luck. I have been self-employed most of my adult life, and I'm self employed now. It is not for everyone -- you have to be a little bit crazy to live like this.

But, being a cancer survivor makes it a little easier to be a little bit crazy. I ride this roller coaster and sleep well -- most nights.

My only advice is to be realistic about the short-term, and stay focused on the long term. I hope you have deep enough pockets to get you through the short term. I went through some rough times, but never lost my house.

If this is about making a living, I wouldn't waste money competing. How many consumers really know anything about competition BBQ -- of care about it. If your rig puts out a good smell, people will want to check it out. If your que is righteous, give out samples in little cups. Think like a crack dealer -- give them a little taste, and get them hooked.

Seriously, IMO, don't focus on making BBQ that wins competitions. Focus on making quality BBQ that ordinary people want to eat. Serve up BBQ that Houstonians can't get at Colter's or Spring Creek BBQ, but isn't as pretentious as competition BBQ. Give people what they want to eat.

Keep us posted. I get down to Houston on a regular basis. I'd like to taste you que. I hope it rocks!

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-25-2013, 01:56 AM   #18
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

Great looking rig Best of luck!!!!!
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #19
bbbflash
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Looks great mate! I want one! Lets see some more pic and some of the inside. This is something that has been in the front of my mind for the last two weeks. It may be years away for me, but I wish you luck! I am a marketer an I like the idea of twitter especially if you are mobile. This will let your followers find you everyday and if done right, a great marketing tool! Again, good luck and I'll be watching.
bbbflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #20
BulloftheWoods
Got Wood.

I have one on order just like it. I had the back enclosed with flip up doors. Fitting it with an Ole Hickory CTO. What size truck are you pulling it with?
BulloftheWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #21
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulloftheWoods View Post
I have one on order just like it. I had the back enclosed with flip up doors. Fitting it with an Ole Hickory CTO. What size truck are you pulling it with?
Toyota Tundra or my partners GMC Denali 4 x4 truck.

Did you get that Ole Hickory out of Huntsville or order new? I think he told me it went up your way.

Good luck out there!
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #22
BulloftheWoods
Got Wood.

Quote:
Toyota Tundra or my partners GMC Denali 4 x4 truck.

Did you get that Ole Hickory out of Huntsville or order new? I think he told me it went up your way.

Good luck out there!
I have a Tundra 4x4, was worried it might not be big enough to pull it. I bought the Ole Hickory CTO from a BBQ restaurant in Bowie, Tx that went out of business. Gave $3000.00 for it. Excellent shape.

Last edited by BulloftheWoods; 07-31-2013 at 11:31 AM..
BulloftheWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #23
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
6 weeks of submitting resumes and kissing up to corporate America netted me nothing so...

I'm entering the arena of slinging meat for a living. Coming to a corner near someone, somewhere in Texas is

I'm probably going to create a blog to chronicle this, some would say, foolishness. I'll post it here when I do.

Once upon a time, in Airborne School, I stood in the door waiting for the green light. I had no idea if any of the crap they told me or the equipment was going to work but at that point I was committed. Same feeling in my stomach now.

More to follow....
Just saw this Wes...good luck with your new venture. Save a weekend early in the year to cook a contest with Jeff and I!!
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #24
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead View Post
Just saw this Wes...good luck with your new venture. Save a weekend early in the year to cook a contest with Jeff and I!!
You know it, Brother. Mi Casa es Su Casa!

I'll keep an eye out for one with a big Calcutta.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #25
Hitman0321
Full Fledged Farker

Good luck brother! Feet and knees together, count, check canopy and gain canopy control!
Hitman0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #26
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman0321 View Post
Good luck brother! Feet and knees together, count, check canopy and gain canopy control!
Ain't no controlling this canopy I fear....

Update - spending more money then you budget for is not a lie... working harder than you thought you would is not a lie.. making less than you have before is not a lie... But we continue to march. We have operated in the black every night out, covering COGs and putting some in the bank. The large purchase of the trailer and the pits notwithstanding.

Still looking for a place to be a BBQ trailer people can find, but land / rent is expensive so for now we operate like a food truck. We sit wherever folks will have us and sell what we can. Not ideal, not what I had in mind but it's early in the game.

Some pics for your viewing pleasure.

one of our spots, nice Htown view in the background.

Nightime shot

Another one of our spots. Sold out completely this night, our 3rd night out.

Same locations just looking from the stadium towards downtown.

Someone asked for an inside pic, this was after the sell out.

Still waiting for the pits to be completed so we had to improvise for a private event. An oil company had purchased and slaughtered a cow during the rodeo so we cooked up 20 pounds of ground beef, both briskets and 16lbs of boneless short ribs for their party.

And the Jack Daniels girls like the home made Mac and Cheese!

Old 09-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #27
BulloftheWoods
Got Wood.

Hang in there. Looks like you are off to a good start.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #28
Fooskey
Got Wood.

Quote:

Still waiting for the pits to be completed so we had to improvise for a private event. An oil company had purchased and slaughtered a cow during the rodeo so we cooked up 20 pounds of ground beef, both briskets and 16lbs of boneless short ribs for their party.
Did you enjoy the fresh beef? I was under the impression that freshly slaughtered beef had a metallic flavor as the beefiness comes with aging.
Fooskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #29
Chubbs
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Keep the updates coming, will be following this closely. Congrats mate!
Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #30
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good luck! That's the way to take the plunge!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote