MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #16
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
Apparently there are a lot of IT guys here that also like to BBQ! :)
It would appear so. Comes in handy when hooked up The Stoker.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
Cue's Your Daddy
is one Smokin' Farker

I could have gone back to college for a masters in computer programming, and could finish it before they do. Isn't 70k what they pay for rent of the kcbs Building? must be the same person setting it up.
KCBS Certified Judge
Custom built Smoker
Big Green Egg/2 WSM/4 Webber Kettles
Webber Gasser
Cue's Your Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #18
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Hell, I could have done it on punch cards by now.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #19
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Quote:
Hell, I could have done it on punch cards by now.
029 or 129??? Remember those? I'm an ex COBOL programmer tried & true! And yes, it appears to me someone is raking someone over the proverbial coals...

Old 11-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm new to KCBS, within the past year, so I'm not sure what is entailed here. I want to jump on the bandwagon and I'm sure I will, but what's the background here and what is involved in this project?

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #21
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
029 or 129??? Remember those? I'm an ex COBOL programmer tried & true! And yes, it appears to me someone is raking someone over the proverbial coals...
I used to do systems work for IBM back in the MVT/VM/MVS days.

PICTURE 88 !!!
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #22
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Ring View Post
That's just the latest incarnation. That's not counting the previous debacle that was going to cost $70,000. Of course with all the delays and change orders from KCBS InDevX is probably up to that by now. This is the second time they have lost the programmer working on it. I guess they only employ one programmer at a time.
Maybe KCBS is their only active IT development client?
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #23
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

I communicated with someone on the board on the topic of issuing team numbers in lieu of using the head cook's KCBS number in the scoring system. What started as a nice back and forth quickly turned defensive. I was told the project had been going on for five years and has seen "three programmers, a change in the database manager, and a myriad of other circumstances" that has delayed the project. It appears that it is too late for changes (although a change order is being issued for a new programmer) and that the developer has been "very kind with their charges".

As a previous contracting officer for huge IT projects, and manager of a development team for some very complex data collection and reporting systems, this scoring system (by itself) is a nine month project at the most, IMHO.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #24
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Quote:

PICTURE 88 !!!
Operated a 360/30 & 50 as well as a 370/145 & 148 at a bank back in the 70's. Good memories...

Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #25
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

at best InDevX website is buggy!
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #26
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Mike View Post
at best InDevX website is buggy!
info should not point to woothemes, contact, should not point to your email client,,,

EDIT: ok, I looked at the portfolio,,, I spoken to soon, they really knock it out the park for the clients. but, whats up with the wootheme, and to:mail links?
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge

Last edited by Smokin Mike; 11-16-2012 at 07:46 PM..
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #27
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I started with Fortran 66 on OS 370/VM. Despite that language having no data types for anything but numbers (no letters) it could have been written in that by now.

It could be done in a couple of days on force.com. I don't think 70k is unreasonable, but the timeframe is. Using the chief cook's number is also completely useless for our team, since we have 2 pitmasters and split contest registrations between us. Under the new system, our ranking will be wrong all the time. It was just a poor design choice because it makes an assumption (teams have only one head cook) that isn't always true.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #28
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:

PICTURE 88 !!!
Punch cards would actually work pretty well
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #29
Nordy
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
Using the chief cook's number is also completely useless for our team, since we have 2 pitmasters and split contest registrations between us. Under the new system, our ranking will be wrong all the time. (teams have only one head cook) that isn't always true.
Hmmm... Can't teams only have one head cook? Otherwise I could have a "team" with "head cooks" all over the country and every weekend compete somewhere, but never actually have the same set of cooks do the cooking... ie whoever has a contest in their hometown or nearby cooks under the team name that weekend. Doesn't seem right...

IMHO a team can have many members... but the designated "head cook" should be present at every comp...

Maybe I'm confused...

Sorry for the deviation off topic...
Nordy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #30
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordy View Post
Hmmm... Can't teams only have one head cook? Otherwise I could have a "team" with "head cooks" all over the country and every weekend compete somewhere, but never actually have the same set of cooks do the cooking... ie whoever has a contest in their hometown or nearby cooks under the team name that weekend. Doesn't seem right...

IMHO a team can have many members... but the designated "head cook" should be present at every comp...

Maybe I'm confused...

Sorry for the deviation off topic...
I believe this is only true in KCBS if there are 2 different contests with the same turn in day. In KCBS, if you have 2 contests with a turn in day on different days, such as 1 with a turn in day of Saturday and 1 with a turn in day of Sunday, you can actually enter both contests under the same team name with two different head cooks and be inside the parameters of the rules. If I'm wrong, I apologize and please correct me if so.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote