• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chili Cooks?

Rightstuff

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My wife and I were watching a Las Vegas Food Network show last night that combined a Chili Cook-off and BBQ Competition. Just wondering how many Brethren out there compete in Chili Cook-offs. I had no real knowledge of chili comps but learned a lot by watching the show. Does anyone have a good BASE recipe for competition chili they would like to share?

Well, first you gotta get some beans........

Just kidding,
I did a couple of ICS Chili cooks a short while back and a couple of local contests and always have a good time.
If you have access to the recipe section, check out a few there and even the ICS website has some award winning recipes I believe. ( google ICS = International Chili Society.)

If you can find Wick Fowlers 2-Alarm Chili Kit in your area, all the spices within the kit come in individually labeled packets. This is a very good way to see a very good, base competition recipe which you can then tweak to your taste.

Supposedly, Wick won the first Trelingua, Texas chili cook off with the recipe.

If you have access to the recipe section, check out a few there and even the ICS website has some award winning recipes I believe. ( google ICS = International Chili Society.)

If you can find Wick Fowlers 2-Alarm Chili Kit in your area, all the spices within the kit come in individually labeled packets. This is a very good way to see a very good, base competition recipe which you can then tweak to your taste.

Thanks, both of these are great starting points.

The recipes for most of the past champions (ICS & CASI) are available online and can be a good starting point. Chili Cooks are generally very meticulous with how they prepare their ingredients (trimming meat into little cubes for example) and also are very careful measuring and timing when things get added.

My advice would be to use the freshest spices you can get (from Pendreys, or Penzeys), measure all your ingredients consistently, even the water! Document everything in a journal/notebook. It does no good to make a great chili and then never be able to duplicate it.

I second the Wick Fowler reccomendation.....makes a great base for a bowl o' Texas Red....

I have done one sanctioned ICS and one non-sanctioned contest. I only like making chili verde so I go with thirdeyes recipe I would put that up against a red chili anyday

I've never competed in a chili cook-off but have been a chili head for longer than a smoker. I love a good bowl of red.

I recently had some chili made by NTHOLE that he put in the smoker under a brisket and other things. It was so amazing...

Back