Ok gents, so I pulled the trigger...

Smokey Piglet

Reaction score
Ok gents, so I pulled the trigger... (Pictures added!)

And bought my first smoker yesterday. Bass Pro Shops ran a special on their Smoke 'n Grill, $24.95! Looks like a Brinkman Smoke 'n Grill (perhaps rebadged?).

Anyhow, I seasoned her yesterday, and today will be firing her up w/ some ribs and a small turkey. I've got to run up to the store and get a meat thermometer, and I'm ready to go.

I may throw on a few fatties, as well. Maybe some garlic cheddar and garlic cream cheese.

I'm excited to try cooking on the smoker, I've mastered doing them on a gasser on very low heat, but am ready for the real thing.

I may throw some apple wood on (I bought apple and hickory yesterday).

Wish me luck! I may be back w/ pics, if all goes well!

Happy Memorial Day, Farkers!

Smokey Piglet

Last edited:
Best of luck to you. Throw a fatty on and get it dirty!

Just wait. By this time next year you will have at least one egg in your backyard if we truly got you hooked on this BBQ crack!

Rule #1 No pics didn't happen. Love to see those pics of the first cook. Good luck!!!!

You know, it is the first purchase that sends you over the edge. No you experience a need to purchase larger smokers. This problem you now have is finding space for all your future purchases.

Not a bad little smoker to get started on. You will learn about fire management and all kinds of other things with it. First recommended mod is a good thermo on the front.

Thanks fellas

Funny thing is, I'm building some shelves, and they've got sooty fingerprints on 'em now... Guess I've gotta paint 'em! :)

Chips go fast! Gotta get me some chunks.

About 1.5hrs before done, I'll fire up the camera and get some pics. Hmm, gimme a few and I'll put some on.

Ribs, Turkey, and 3 fatties on the way. First fatties on the smoker, I've done 'em for years on the gasser. It helps being buddies w/ the founder.

SmokeyPig, where are ya, man - grilling up a feast for M-day? Or at the ball field?? :)

pic286sv8.jpg

Da smoker...

pic288tf3.jpg

Da temp... (gotta get a more precise temp gauge!)

pic290qc1.jpg

Da goods... (wrapped - 2 sets of baby backs, 1 ruptured fatty, down below, 2 more fatties
and a boneless rubbed Turkey breast)

Smokey Piglet

Last edited:
Congrats on the new smoker. ECB's are fun and can turn out some good Q. My old ECB would crank out a better beer can chicken than any smoker I ever owned.

Have fun with it, and keep us up to date on how it cooks!

I love using my ECB for doing fatties and ABT's

Kepp smokin and you will enjoy

Just wait. By this time next year you will have at least one egg in your backyard if we truly got you hooked on this BBQ crack!

you are very correct my man

seems every year I try to get a new one, and I do keep all of them

Traeger124
WSM
Cheapo offset

I try to keep my ribs cooking at the "Ideal" temperature too. LOL. I have cooked a lot of great food on an ECB. Had a lot of fun doing it too.

The results...

Got some more pics but they're at home on the camera.

The ribs - fried 'em, they were dried out, but if pulled and sauced, were quite tasty!

The fatties - crusty, but very good! The cream cheese, slow smoked, was incredible! I could eat that by itself. I stuffed 'em (3 jimmy dean maples) with garlic and cream cheese, and did each w/ a different dry rub.

The turkey - it was a boneless turkey breast, frozen, which I'd thawed a bit in a tub of water that morning. It came out perfect! Drizzled with butter and rubbed w/ spices, that thing cooked up nice and tasted awesome!

Thank goodness I put on that turkey, sorta saved the day! My buddy stopped by and we ate the fatties and some of the ribs, but the turkey was devoured by the wife and my two girls.

Sad thing was, I sorta... sampled... as I pulled stuff off the grill, and when it hit the table, I was stuffed! :)

Can't wait 'til the next smoke. Got to get some wood chunks, those chips burn up like there's no tomorrow!

Smokey Piglet.

Sad thing was, I sorta... sampled... as I pulled stuff off the grill, and when it hit the table, I was stuffed! :)
Smokey Piglet.

Do the same thing myself. Always eat up the rib trimmings. Congrats on the cook.

Piglet,

congrats... As i mentioned to you, I did butts (6 7-8lb of them) last weekend for my daughter's HS graduation party. Did up a few fatties, too. stuffed with banana pepps. and cooked to perfection.

I too have a problem of 'pickin' and 'grinnin' as the meat comes off. the fatties didn't make it to the party. i used 1 JD maple and two JD sage.

the best, tho, were the butts. there was nothing left. NOTHING. I was farkin mad after the party. it seemed like i was doing nohting but refillin the plate for 3 hrs. of course, that can be a really good reason to give your better half why you're pickin at it while it comes off the smoker!

That looks great. Hope you had fun and enjoyed the ride. It's all good:icon_bigsmil

Back