• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1st try at vending

grillfella

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well boys and girls, I finally did it I was asked to vend a car show and classic rock mini concert for the City Of Cerritos. I was a little hesitant at first but got some good advice from C Rocke (Thanks Chris):-D We did tri tip sandwiches, chips and lemonade. We had a 3hr window to sell, I was guaranteed 40 combos which I sold for $7 bucks each that the city paid for in advance for city officials to eat. We sold the sandwich alone for $5 Our only competition was senior citizens selling nachos, hot dogs, and candy. We got many compliments and sold everything out, the lemonade was the first thing to go and only went through 2 boxes of 50 ct chips. People were buying sandwiches on there way out after the concert for there lunch the next day. We were asked to come back at the end of the month for another one. I really enjoyed interacting with the crowd and the added exposure. Any advice for next time would be appreciated:p

Well Glad to hear that getting your feet wet and doing a good amount of business was a good thing. As long as you serve good food, you will get return customers on the next one. Years ago I worked for a traveling carnival in New England. The best advice I can give you is put out a good product and you will do good. And appearance makes a difference also. Keep it clean and neat. that helps a lot. and don't scrimp on your food. Good luck on your next one.

Vending is definitely a lot of fun and it sounds like you had a great time. Estimating how much food to bring is especially difficult with BBQ. You can't just run out and buy some more meat and "throw it on" like you do with burgers and hot dogs. And you want to run out of food but not too early. And you never know which of your items will sell on which day.

WE have days where everyone wants ribs. The next day it might be pulled pork. THe next day brisket. You have to be prepared for runs like that on all of your meat and there is no way to guess which one it will be.

Damn. I didn't help at all. Hmmm...the best I can tell you is find out what kind of crowd they are expecting and aim to feed at least 10% of them unless you are the only vendor.

Hope that helps.

Vending is definitely a lot of fun and it sounds like you had a great time. Estimating how much food to bring is especially difficult with BBQ. You can't just run out and buy some more meat and "throw it on" like you do with burgers and hot dogs. And you want to run out of food but not too early. And you never know which of your items will sell on which day.

WE have days where everyone wants ribs. The next day it might be pulled pork. THe next day brisket. You have to be prepared for runs like that on all of your meat and there is no way to guess which one it will be.

Damn. I didn't help at all. Hmmm...the best I can tell you is find out what kind of crowd they are expecting and aim to feed at least 10% of them unless you are the only vendor.

Hope that helps.

same w/ us...
i found that if something is going slow or not @ all i'll run a special for an hour. say a brisket plate (w/2 sides,pickle,onion slices,bread,& 16 oz. tea,lemonade, or bottled water)regularly $8.00 for $5.00.
or a sammie w/ fries for $3.50-regularly $5.00

I was thinking of selling New Mexico chile beans. not sure how to price it though. Any suggestions Big Mista and Mrs mista:-D

If the beans have meat in them, I say $5 for an 8oz. bowl. If they are meatless, then charge $3.

Back