I never actually watched stall before

superlazy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I got a maverick a month or so ago and this is the 1st low cook with it.
Now I know why newbies get concerned. They are checking to farking much!!!
I set it forget it and just keep a eye on the cooker temps and check the meat when I think It's time.
I now see how folks get scared, I have a pastrami on for the wife that stalled at 165 forever Wife asked "Ummm it's been over a hour and hasn't moved"
It's in the stall don't worry and stop looking at my remote unless you want to cook:mrgreen:
Keep a eye on the pit temp and forget about the meat until it's close

Thats one of my worse things. Even though i know it will take 6 hours, and it will stall. I CANT STOP LOOKING AT THE TEMP EVERY 30 MINUTES. Its aggravating, but i cant stop it.

Thats one of my worse things. Even though i know it will take 6 hours, and it will stall. I CANT STOP LOOKING AT THE TEMP EVERY 30 MINUTES. Its aggravating, but i cant stop it.

unplug the meat probe.

I dont even put it in the meat until I think its close if I do at all

Kinda like watching grass grow. :bored:
The IT starts moving up pretty quickly once it comes out of the stall though. :clap2:

I got a maverick a month or so ago and this is the 1st low cook with it.
Now I know why newbies get concerned. They are checking to farking much!!!
I set it forget it and just keep a eye on the cooker temps and check the meat when I think It's time.
I now see how folks get scared, I have a pastrami on for the wife that stalled at 165 forever Wife asked "Ummm it's been over a hour and hasn't moved"
It's in the stall don't worry and stop looking at my remote unless you want to cook:mrgreen:
Keep a eye on the pit temp and forget about the meat until it's close

Awesome isn't it? :) I got my Maverick about a month ago too. Watched my first stall a couple weeks ago. Gave me a huge new perspective. Almost educational.

unplug the meat probe.

I dont even put it in the meat until I think its close if I do at all

But but but but but. (i only use it to tell me when to start probing for tender) But i cant help it but but but.

The remote comes in handy during say during a football game. Let's you know when and how fast meat temp is rising after the stall.

But but but but but. (i only use it to tell me when to start probing for tender) But i cant help it but but but.

Ok what is with folks with the snarky comments lately? :mmph:

Seems to be mostly newbie's to smoking.
Knock it off!!!
We are here to learn from each other!:shocked:
by the way stalled again @ 178. Wanted to take off at 190 but I'm tired and have to work tomorrow

Once you figure it all out, you will just get better and better. There is a large Margin of error Cookin low and slow and it turns out tasty que no doubt. Once you feel confident start bumping up your temps to like 300 and then go as high as 350, there is no stall and the meat comes out even juicier but when Cookin Hott, internal temps are deceiving and you gotta go mostly by feel. Good luck on future cooks, good to see people taking to time to learn themselves rather than freakin out when the stall actually happens. That evaporative cooling has fooled lots of people in its day. Glad it didn't get you.

My last few cooks I've left the Maverick in the cupboard. Things turned out fine. It was liberating and exhilarating. :mrgreen:

Ok what is with folks with the snarky comments lately? :mmph:

Seems to be mostly newbie's to smoking.
Knock it off!!!
We are here to learn from each other!:shocked:
by the way stalled again @ 178. Wanted to take off at 190 but I'm tired and have to work tomorrow

To the last part of your post, I too have encountered the double stall. Man what is up with that???

Just as you say, I nomally hit it around 170 -175*F and then again around 185 - 190*F. I'm thinking it's because the low and slow temp is going down.

Having the 732 is definitely a niceity. I cooked by feel before I got that, I do barely look at it during a chuckie/brisky/pork shoulder cook. Main reason why I wanted it was for prime rib. Then... I watch that sucker like a hawk!

Once you figure it all out, you will just get better and better. There is a large Margin of error Cookin low and slow and it turns out tasty que no doubt. Once you feel confident start bumping up your temps to like 300 and then go as high as 350, there is no stall and the meat comes out even juicier but when Cookin Hott, internal temps are deceiving and you gotta go mostly by feel. Good luck on future cooks, good to see people taking to time to learn themselves rather than freakin out when the stall actually happens. That evaporative cooling has fooled lots of people in its day. Glad it didn't get you.

Thanks. I'm really tired
I don't agree with hot and fast on everything
This was my 1st attempt @ pastrami and it needs to be steamed yet but...
The wife loves it!!!!! Yes I cut slice or 2 after resting
I'll post the finished cook after i'm done

jm, the temps you speak of around 350*F can be done in an oven. Don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to understand the difference between a pit and an oven if the meat does not absorb the smoke in a slow manor.

If your lookin.......it ain't a cookin!

Back