A competition using only Weber Kettle

Because he won't be cooking pork at a Kosher contest. It will be brisket, chicken, beef ribs and beans.

Here's a great video for the OP: The Snake Method - Charcoal Kettle Tutorial, Low and Slow Technique - YouTube

I can't recommend this event strongly enough. Very competent organizers, friendly cooks and Jerry and Linda Mullane are the reps (and they rock).

Lmk if you're going to make it. We can set up a mini Brethren Row.

Eric

The original Snake method ,to my way of thinking ,that became an Australian icon was published here.
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4864
I do not belive it was the first in the Big WWW,but believe it was the foundation for the Australian scene.

To the OP.
I often have Backyard BBq with some Muslim friends and they appreciate the effort but do not get obsessive
about all the so called rules,seems about the same to me
cheers.
Titch

This looks like a fun event. I looked through the rules quickly and I saw where they are allocating charcoal baskets. Does that mean that you cannot use fire bricks? If you can use them, that is definitely my preferred method for smoking on the kettle.

Titch is right, That method was developed by the Aussie bbq forum guys from an idea to something that actually works.
The Youtube poster that didn't give any credits, Is not showing it in its up to date status that works reliably. And thats not an Aussie accent:mod: Its Kiwi (NZ):caked:

This looks like a fun event. I looked through the rules quickly and I saw where they are allocating charcoal baskets. Does that mean that you cannot use fire bricks? If you can use them, that is definitely my preferred method for smoking on the kettle.

I use a stainless steel bowl filled with water and make a c around the bowl and then light one end this will go 6 to 8 hours depending on the amount of charcoal

I've tried the snake method in my kettles a few times recently and really like it. My own best luck has been to make the snake three briquettes wide and two layers deep with smoking wood laying along the top (dry). I started the snake with 7 fully ashed-over coals and both bottom and upper vents wide open to start. About 40 or 50 degrees below my target temp I close bottom to half and continue to "brake" the temp climb with top vents until it parks. For me that hits at 250 to 275 on a 22.5" Weber. I thought it was easier to hit 225 by only making my snake two briquettes across and two deep and igniting with 5 lit coals rather than trying to choking off a larger fire by turning the vents lower. I agree with those who suggest it's better to adjust your cook to whatever temperature your cooker settles in at rather than fuss with the vents trying to hit your ideal number right on the nose.

Sounds like a great contest, pix when it happens?

my kettle will run all day with a snake at 250, i have even got long cooks with my smokey joe and the snake.

Sounds like a blast to me! There's nothing that I won't smoke on a kettle as good as on a drum or any other cooker for that matter. A little more babysitting, sure, but no big deal. 100% lump fan, no problem with temp control and surely better flavor IMO. Some people can't taste the difference but I sure can. I suspect some judges at comps can too (possibly costing Myron/Harry/others higher scores at times???). Why risk it? Lump NEVER offends with flavor. Just my $.02, YMMV.....

Very cool concept on a couple fronts - 1 - Being a kosher event & 2 - being kettles only.

As a newbie prior to entering my very first competition, I sold my Big Green Egg and Steel Keg for a Weber Kettle. (Yes it was hard) but I wanted to become mobile and have the ability to fly to any competition. So far, I've competed 3 times with a Kettle and flown there each time.

1 GC and 5 top place calls, two 1st place brisket calls including taking 1st place at 2012 Jack Daniel's Invitational in Brisket. So cooking on a kettle is VERY doable. I do recommend using a Guru. If someone from Weber is reading this, you welcome!

Last edited:
As a newbie prior to entering my very first competition. I sold my Big Green Egg and Steel Keg for a Weber Kettle. (Yes it was hard) but I wanted to become mobile and have the ability to fly to any competition. So far, I've competed 3 times with a Kettle and flown there each time.

1 GC and 5 top place calls, two 1st place brisket calls including taking 1st place at 2012 Jack Daniel's Invitational in Brisket. So cooking on a kettle is VERY doable. I do recommend using a Guru. If someone from Weber is reading this, you welcome!

Damn fine job! So are you "Weekend Warriors" then?

@MisterChrister

Thank You! Yes Sir, I am the guy that cooks as Weekend Warrior BBQ.

@PadioDadio
I feel the same way.

I used to take my Smoky Joe on camping trips.
I eventually gave it to a neighbor, and now take my Blue Kettle.
It's a little more trouble, but I use it more often.
(Never know when a few extra, hungry folks show up)

The 'Snake' works for me, and my Blue Kettle is up to whatever task I give it.

I started smoking on a kettle, too, and turned out some good Q on it. I love the idea of the kettle only competition... let us know how it goes!

I used fire bricks last year without a problem. I'm sure that they'd be fine with them IF they were new.

Eric

I am contemplating entering a KOSHER BBQ competition in Long Island. All grills, supplies, meats, charcoal, knives, injectors, etc. are supplied by the organization sponsoring the event. This is done to maintain Kashrut (Kosher laws) throughout the competition. The grills provided are Weber Kettles with the charcoal side basket.

I too started out with a 22.5" kettle. You can make some awesome BBQ. Check these guys out on youtube. 99% of their vids have the kettle going.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BarbecueWeb?feature=watch

I started smoking on a kettle. I still use it for small smokes, like a rack of ribs.

I use Kingsford blue, because it is the fuel that I know best. I use the Minion method, with one half of the kettle full of lit and unlit coals, and the other side "cold." I add wood chunks a couple at a time for smoke. Do some practice cooks, and use what works best for you.

You will have to monitor your temperatures, and make adjustments. But don't "chase" your ideal temperature -- you will drive yourself nuts. Just plan for your temp to fluctuate, and deal with it.

If you chose to accept this challenge, I think you will become a better cook, because it will NOT be a set-it-and-forget-it cook. You will have to pay attention. You will have to think on your feet.

But, I know from about 15 years of kettle experience, that you can cook some righteous Q on a Weber Kettle, and many brethren can back me up on that. I'm sure I'm not the only one willing to help you out in any way we can.

CD
I agree. I've cooked some very large roasts in my Weber kettle. Lots of chickens and turkeys,too. I find them quite stable if you catch the temp on the way up before putting the meat on. I usually only check things about every 2 hours during a long cook, using a 12 inch turkey thermometer through the top vent. Search here for "Weber kettle long cook" to get ideas. Landarc has cooked some fabulous things on a kettle.

I have a source for fire bricks that is local to the event, if you'd like.

I used them for not only banking the coals, but to elevate another cooking rack to give me more cooking space.

Eric

I started smoking on a kettle. I still use it for small smokes, like a rack of ribs.

I use Kingsford blue, because it is the fuel that I know best. I use the Minion method, with one half of the kettle full of lit and unlit coals, and the other side "cold." I add wood chunks a couple at a time for smoke. Do some practice cooks, and use what works best for you.

You will have to monitor your temperatures, and make adjustments. But don't "chase" your ideal temperature -- you will drive yourself nuts. Just plan for your temp to fluctuate, and deal with it.

If you chose to accept this challenge, I think you will become a better cook, because it will NOT be a set-it-and-forget-it cook. You will have to pay attention. You will have to think on your feet.

But, I know from about 15 years of kettle experience, that you can cook some righteous Q on a Weber Kettle, and many brethren can back me up on that. I'm sure I'm not the only one willing to help you out in any way we can.

CD

I use my Weber Performer most often to smoke now and only pull out the actual "smoker" if I need to cook up a bunch of food. With a rib rack I can do 3 slabs easily, or squeeze on 2 shoulders or a small brisket. Mine likes to run around 275 using the Minion method.

Back