MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #31
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
On the road to being a farker

I had some Henckels knives, and hated them. Decided to splurge a little, and get this. http://www.kinknives.com/gordon-rams...-170mm-87.aspx
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #32
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell7 View Post
I stumbled on a kitchen store on the Independence sq. in Indep. , mo. They had a large selection of Viking knives. So far they are great and they appear to be closing them out! Anyone had experience with that brand?
Nope, but a google search revealed:

Viking knives are handmade in Solingen, Germany, to the highest standards. Viking knives have durable and strong forged blades, while the full tang runs the entire length of the handle to provide balance. The high-carbon vanadium chromium stainless steel allows for a terrific cutting edge, ease of sharpening and resistance to corrosion.

They sound similar to the Henckels n Wusthof stuff.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #33
lhommedieu

Default Kitchen knives

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired trucker View Post
The 17* angle is actually more obtuse than the 30* bevel, as the 30* bevel is 30* inclusive. In other words, it is 15* per side. The 17* angle would be 34* inclusive. On kitchen knives, an inclusive angle of 30* is pretty standard. Some like 26*, but your steel needs to be fairly "soft" or not too hard, as an angle that acute will chip or roll on you.

Most hard use knives (hunting, chopping, etc) use an angle of 40* for longer edge retention. For pocket knives, a lot of people like the 30* or around 28* for getting their knives hair popping sharp.

For my personal preference, I prefer a carbon steel kitchen knife over a stainless steel one. My kitchen set is a quality stainless steel set I bought several years ago, and is quite sharp. I use a "steel" on them to keep them sharp between actual sharpening sessions. The steel does not actually sharpen the knives, but re profiles the edge after hard use as the edge rolls or gets minute chips in them.

I have several carbon steel knives that I found at a local Goodwill store for $1 each. I brought them home and sharpened them up to where you can push cut phone book paper without any tearing. Love to see just how sharp I can get them

I keep all my knives in a block or separated from each other. Never throw all your knives in a drawer together, as they will chip and dull each other. Also only cut on a wood or plastic type cutting board, and never on glass or ceramic. Good knives are worth protecting.
+1

I have a friend who is a designer at Ontario Knives and his advice is to find the thinnest profile for each knife that you have that still works for that knife, i.e., each knife will have a different profile depending on what kind of work that it does.

I probably put too much work into my old carbon steel knives as I steel them before and after using and put a thin coat of oil on them when I put them away. My chef's knife is a gift from my mother from when she needed to use lighter knives. (I got her a set of Victorinox Fibrox and a set for me for when I travel.) I rarely use another knife except for a small paring knife for fine work, a serrated bread knife, or an antique, forged Sabattier carver that I found on eBay. Truth be told, I use that carver about once a year on Thanksgiving or Christmas, lol - for everything else I use my chef's knife.

I also have an old "Chicago Cutlery" stainless chef's knife from my college days that I keep around if I have guests who want to do prep work; I'd say that it's a piece of crap but for whatever reason I manage to keep a good edge on it if I hone it and steel it properly, so it stays in my knife block for occasional "guest" use. This is also the one with which my 12-year old is learning her prep technique; we start off each session with a review of good practice (thumbs tucked away, knuckles against the side, the knife does the work, etc.).

Some people like a serrated "Z" knife as it does quick work in the kitchen, but my bread knife does the same job, imho. I'd recommend a heavy cleaver if you need that sort of thing, and a pair of poultry shears - but that's just icing.

Thank you for the book recommendation: An Edge in the Kitchen, by Chad Ward; I'll definitely look it up. Another to consider is Knife Skills Illustrated, by Peter Hertzmann. Of course, the knife skills sections in books by Pepin, Child, etc. are great places to start as well.

Best,

Steve

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #34
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I may have missed it but I can't stress the use of a leather strop enough. I use to keep mine in the basement with my sharpening equipment but now it hangs along side of my steel in the kitchen. The strop is homemade and loaded with green rough, this is glued to a board 2 inches wide by 12 inches long and is made from an old leather belt. There are better ones for purchase out there and someday I plan on getting one but this seems to do a very good job. After hitting the knife with a steel I run it over the strop a few times. Basically it polishes the fine burrs left by the steel and makes a huge difference on ease of slicing.
Dave

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #35
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Great info Friends and again Thanks for the replies!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #36
mallorjc

I give up. How can you not b there? with "Kerocera ceramics. They have helped alot but still not there." I've never been happier with my Kyocera knives. Did u get "Kerocera" from Big Lots, or are we on the same page? If so, what u miss!ing, please. Mine do everything but bend.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #37
Happy Hapgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorjc View Post
I give up. How can you not b there? with "Kerocera ceramics. They have helped alot but still not there." I've never been happier with my Kyocera knives. Did u get "Kerocera" from Big Lots, or are we on the same page? If so, what u miss!ing, please. Mine do everything but bend.
Been very happy with them. I like the idea of doing my own sharpening rather than send them off.

I ordered 2 Kyocera's factory direct (the ones in the OP). Thanks for the spelling correction. I should have checked that before posting.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Old 12-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #38
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sorry, I just have to derail this thread for a second. Every time I see it listed my mind keeps reading it as "Trying to build a decent wife collection"

Anyway,
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #39
Happy Hapgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Sorry, I just have to derail this thread for a second. Every time I see it listed my mind keeps reading it as "Trying to build a decent wife collection"

Anyway,
Only took my one try on that one. As you can see, She's clearly listed in my cookin' equipment.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #40
mallorjc

I can't think of anything acceptable to say about using the former collection to adjust the latter.

Let's just say that I understand the confusion (they are similar topics) and have made the same adjustment, once, way successfully, as has Toast, who has submitted videos to prove it.

I can, however, spell better! Not that this has value.

Back to the topic, please. Creamics rule, period, end of story. Someone flame me, please!

I'd love to find some steel not made in Muroran taking 6 craftsmen's entire lives that equals it, cheap!

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #41
Happy Hapgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorjc View Post
I can't think of anything acceptable to say about using the former collection to adjust the latter.

Let's just say that I understand the confusion (they are similar topics) and have made the same adjustment, once, way successfully, as has Toast, who has submitted videos to prove it.

I can, however, spell better! Not that this has value.

Back to the topic, please. Creamics rule, period, end of story. Someone flame me, please!

I'd love to find some steel not made in Muroran taking 6 craftsmen's entire lives that equals it, cheap!
Very well said Sir!

All I can say is Thank God for Spell check!

Old 12-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #42
ManakooraMan
Knows what a fatty is.

Sorry delete this iPhone acting up
ManakooraMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #43
ManakooraMan
Knows what a fatty is.

The kyoceras were never made for hacking. Still gonna need a rusty trusty beast killa of some kine.
ManakooraMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #44
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Very well said Sir!

All I can say is Thank God for Spell check!
You could thank God for the spelling before it got spell checked, but you have to thank mankind for spell check itself, no?

Old 12-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #45
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManakooraMan View Post
The kyoceras were never made for hacking. Still gonna need a rusty trusty beast killa of some kine.
True, it has been said before in the thread but bears repeating.
No 1 cause of death is shock and torsion, be careful with them.