MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #16
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

If you are cooking and charging then you are in the catering business.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #17
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkQPine View Post
If you are cooking and charging then you are in the catering business.
To be in the business, he would have to be charging for the purpose of making a profit...to only be charging for essential costs of supplies is just being a good frined.

How many businesses do you know that operate and charge for only essential or incidental cost?
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #18
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjancel View Post
Someone ask me to come to there house and cook a pig they would provide
The pig. They wanted to know what I would charge. I have no clue
I was thinking
Towing cooker setup tear down 100

Wood. 100

My service 20$ per hour

Lang 84

Listen, I agree with the majority here...you should control every aspect of what you will be cooking. If you're asked to do a whole pig, be there when it's picked up and make sure it's being stored properly.

Has this person ever done this before? Do they have a walk in cooler? Is it going to be picked up the day before the cook and kept on ice in a large enough cooler? Is the place it's being bought from a legitimate supply source that practoces safe handling of product? There are many questions that you need to know the answer to.

For you're expertise, I'd say $20 an hour may be just right, it may be a little light. That depends on what the surrounding market will support. In L.A. or NYC, $20 an hour would be serious low balling it...the midwest, probably a little high depending on where. It also depends on what your experience level is with a pig. If you're known for your abilitlies, $20 an hour may be reasonable. Like I said, a lot of factors to consider.

If they are set on supplying it, and IF you feel confident in it's storage and safe handling, I would charge between $400 and $500 just for my services. But that would include those other costs you mentioned. But every thing would be supplied by them. Plates, drinks, napkins...so on and so forth.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #19
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkQPine View Post
I am always amazed that people come on seeking advise and then ignore it. Don't cook any food that you don't provide, never, never, never.

Looking at the OP, I don't think he was seeking the kind of advice he was given...but was only really seeking advice as to what to charge for his services. I don't remember seeing any where that he was asking if it was a good idea or not???