BBQ Guru Pit Probe Placement

K-Barbecue

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've been enjoying my BBQ Guru DigiQ DX for over a year now but I'd like some advice. What is the best location for the Guru pit probe. I've been clipping it underneath the top grate but my cooking temps seem low. The dome thermometer on my 22.5 is usually reading nearly 40 degrees cooler than the Guru setting. Any suggestions for a better probe location ?

Either wedge a cork between the grill grates and stick the probe through that or push it through a potato and lay the potato on the grate. Either way will give you the temperature right above the cooking surface without coming in contact with it grate and giving you a false high reading.

I used a small block of hardwood approx 3/4"h x 1"w x 3"l with a hole drilled through it lengthwise. Then lay it right on the grate, it worked great.

I used a small block of hardwood approx 3/4"h x 1"w x 3"l with a hole drilled through it lengthwise. Then lay it right on the grate, it worked great.

nice

I'm doing this from now on.

I clip mine on the grill. Always keeping in mind that any meat drippings, which represent a different temp than your heat source, can and will drive your readings crazy.

Separate probe as far as reasonable from meat drippings.

I think the meat drippings have been part of my problem when clipping the probe underneath the grate. Thanks for the suggestions. :-D

Back