MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
ChiefOsceola
On the road to being a farker

Default What hooked you on BBQ?

I'm a total noob to the art of the smoke (though Admin says I'm a full member on here ). Only joined up here at the beginning of this month. Got to wondering what brought y'all to BBQ. Was it the taste of the food? The satisfaction of spending a Saturday with family & friends out by the smoker? Was it going to a local BBQ festival? What was it?

For me, the obsession started when I first heard about the UDS on another forum, then followed a link here (I lurked until I got my drum this year). Seeing tons of pictures of pure tastiness cooked on something I could build was just too cool. Now that I've built it, each time I cook on it and read more of your threads, the more hooked on BBQ I become. Though perfectly content with my drum at the moment, I can already fill the itch for an offset.

What hooked you?

Last edited by ChiefOsceola; 02-25-2010 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: edited because i read the "mandatory for all members" post
ChiefOsceola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
rw02kr43
Full Fledged Farker

Default hooked

I'm not really sure. I haven't eaten much bbq in my life. Just had my first ribs last year. and it's been about 14 yrs since any type of beef. But now I have 2 smokers and am building 2 new UDS when it warms up a bit. I love cooking bbq and the flavors are amazing. I have made quite a few chickens and ribs and abts and people seem to love them. Maybe there actually is something I'm somewhat good at. So I guess it's many things that hooked me on it.

Jason
rw02kr43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
EatRBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

For me it was all the hot women.
I smoke in the driveway for a day then go hit the local grocery stores, the hungry women can't leave me alone.
IMHO it works better than a pork chop necklace.

(Dodging thrown household objects coming from the wife's direction)

OK, being silly, not unusual.

Seriously? In my early 20s I picked up a Brinkman vertical smoker. Cheap, inefficient, burned itself out in one or two seasons, don't even get me started on the crappy charcoal and water pans!
But the first time I cooked on it I got praised for the results.
I enjoyed the praise as much as I enjoyed the challenge of cooking good food on the thing.

Part of the fun was taking a drill to the old Brinkman and trying to improve on it. I think BBQ and grilling brought out the do-it-yourselfer in me and has just evolved.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
CmdCtrl
Knows what a fatty is.

Love to eat!
Blame it on Alton Brown and his terracotta smoker.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Rover24
Full Fledged Farker

I think college did it for me. First time out of my parents house and I had to cook my own food, so I settled on the cooking style that allowed me to drink a lot of beer and check out the girls at the pool accross from my apartment building.

I don't think that I really got hooked on the art of BBQ until I picked up the Bar-B-Que Bible by Steven Raichlen, and then I don't think that I became truly obsessed until I found this site.
Rover24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Roger_M
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I did a ton of cooking on my gas grill then i happened upon a char griller offset for $60 on clearance. Loved the food. Something satisfying about cooking with fire.
Roger_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
keale
Babbling Farker

KNEE SURGERY!

2 weeks bedrest...just so happens BBQ week was on Food Network, I said to myself, damn, that looks good. Built my own smoker, didn't know what I was doing!!!
Weber Performer (169.00/brand new mod.)
Weber Handles from www.amlwoodart.com
UDS
22.5" Weber kettle, (refuse collector mod.)
18" Weber kettle (almost new craigslist $20 mod)

"crest of a breaking wave" thats my name...
keale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

My wife purchased my first offset for a fathers day gift and learning how to use it was a challenge. I'm a Systems Admin by trade and if any of you know us, a challenge creates a demonic person. Up all night until it's right, etc...

Well, my first smoke on this new toy was on a dreary evening in early summer and I just could not get the temps to level. I realized the nice storm breeze was the issue, so being me, @ 3 AM (lightning and all) I was in the back yard moving stuff around to shelter specific wind direction and so on. Well, I was hooked, I knew if smoking 1 dang chiken for tomorrows meal was going to be that difficult, I had plenty of challenges ahead .

Oh and the smell of smokey Ron wasn't appealing at first to the wife, but, well you know...

1- Cheap Charcoal grill (gone to the graveyard)
Smokin'Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
NateOwsley
On the road to being a farker

I had an unfair advantage, I was born in Owensboro, KY, the self proclaimed bbq capitol of the world. So you could say it was in my blood. Then when we one first place in chicken at our first ever cookoff I was hooked.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
bruno
Full Fledged Farker

Beer. Goes great with ribs.

"That tastes like ****!"
bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRBBQ View Post
For me it was all the hot women.
I smoke in the driveway for a day then go hit the local grocery stores, the hungry women can't leave me alone.
IMHO it works better than a pork chop necklace.
Ain't that the truth. I tooks some food in for a pot luck to my wife's office and I had 2 ladies ask me what cologne I was wearing... I don't wear cologne so I assume it was the smoked pork .

1- Cheap Charcoal grill (gone to the graveyard)
Smokin'Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I grew up here in KC, so I was pretty familiar with BBQ. When I was a kid, my dad picked up a new-fangled Brinkmann smoker (now known as an ECB) and learned to fight it to make briskets. I ate tons of brisket growing up, it was his favorite to prepare. As soon as he saw the WSM's come out, he switched to get the better control.

After I moved out, I did a lot of grilling, but not real BBQ. When I bought my house in 2003, that Spring my wife and I were at Wally World and she pointed out a Brinkmann Smoke-N-Pit Deluxe offset and suggested I buy it. So I did.

I consulted with my dad about how he did briskets, and started learning to cook on that offset using his methods. Then one day I got an urge to find a BBQ cookbook to learn how to make other things, so I went to the library and found Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ book.

That is probably when I officially became "hooked" on BBQ. That book gave me so many ideas it made my head spin. I had no idea there was so much to learn.

I was interested in more info on the "Mustard Slather" Paul so highly recommended, so I did a Google search, and that was how I found my first online BBQ Forum. After a couple years on that site, I heard about this site and came to check it out. Eventually, this place became the ONLY forum I went to.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #13
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

The food, the praise, the fire, the beer and the UDS got me hooked

Old 02-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno View Post
Beer. Goes great with ribs.

Yep. I gotta agree.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Me it was Daytona Bike Week 1981. I went to a place called Hog Heaven or Hog Haven not to sure cause of the condition I was probably in (not driving) and had my first of many pulled pork sandwiches and I was hooked. And now that I look back it was probably crappy but I didn't know any better. Then it was Brinkman, a Bar-b-Chef, a WSM and a few UDS's, a few contest ect.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote