MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
Smokin Dawg77
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Jason
Default Comp chicken attempt ....

My 1st go at a comp chicken trim an cook. Pulled an scalped skin (tore hole only in 1 !) Was ok with it being 1st real shot at a comp style trim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190623_121705.jpg (51.1 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 20190623_164418.jpg (83.1 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg 20190623_180711.jpg (101.7 KB, 193 views)
Smokin Dawg77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
didisea
Take a breath!

Try and make the pieces the same size.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by didisea View Post
Try and make the pieces the same size.
^^^This

In order to do that, you may have to cut back the knuckle and square things up. Or you can trim 3x the amount you need to cook to find some of equal size. By that, I mean, buy several packs and separate them by size.
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #4
Smokin Dawg77
Got Wood.

Yea going to try knuckle trim next go round , plus going do more than just one pack. Trying get same size with only 1 pack bout impossible.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #5
akoda
is one Smokin' Farker

I go to a store and request thighs of a certain size, they go through their cases. I get 18 of very similar size by weight. By the time you cook them they vary some but it gets me closer to similar size and I don't have to eat too many of off sizes :) I target thighs from 4 to 5 ounces each
Weber 18
Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Gasser
Superfast Red Thermopen

Old Church, Va
akoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoda View Post
I go to a store and request thighs of a certain size, they go through their cases. I get 18 of very similar size by weight. By the time you cook them they vary some but it gets me closer to similar size and I don't have to eat too many of off sizes :) I target thighs from 4 to 5 ounces each
^^^This right here. I have a small store that gets locally raised and butchered chickens and I buy the thighs in a 5 lb package (usually 15-16 thighs). If you tell him you want the thighs for competition they will make sure they are all very comparable size before they package. Last comp 1 thigh precook didn't make the cut...post cook I had 10-12 very similar to choose from. Never hurts to ask!!

Old 07-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Good job on your first go round. Yes agree with akoda above. At a minimum make sure when you buy them the packs have generally same sized thighs. I buy packs of 4-6 thighs for this reason (instead of the huge packs). Slightly more expensive but I can control the sizing easier

Old 07-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #8
Smokin Dawg77
Got Wood.

Thanks guys great feed back