MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel
Default Turkey for reheat

I have had some clients inquire about smoked turkey for Thanksgiving - enough it's worth my time to do it for them - so I'm going to give it a go. My plan is to cook it before hand for them to heat and eat. What would be the best way to package/have them reheat?

I don't have, nor have I looked into what the HD requires, a commercial vacuum sealer. I do want them to have the best experience possible with their family.

Any advice?

Old 11-13-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Do you have insurance if they handle it wrong and get there guests sick?
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

I have our catering insurance which covers food borne illness.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:30 AM   #4
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post
I have our catering insurance which covers food borne illness.
I always wonder how people handle stuff once you give it to them, how do you know they don’t go shopping at Home Depot for an hour and then go home? The bad thing is it always comes back to your name But that’s what insurances for
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:02 PM   #5
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd suggest having them pick it up hot and sign a pick-up form that would have wording which stated the food was properly hot held when they picked it up. Below that I'd maybe have the food safe cooling instructions along with the proper reheat instructions with safe time and temperature guides.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:08 PM   #6
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsara View Post
I always wonder how people handle stuff once you give it to them, how do you know they don’t go shopping at Home Depot for an hour and then go home? The bad thing is it always comes back to your name But that’s what insurances for
I used to worry about this too but then I realized that millions of people go through drive-thru windows daily and get food and many don't handle it safely. If someone gets sick from a turkey you sold them but you sold 50 birds that day and the other 49 families were all good then it would clearly show where the liability and improper handling laid. Now if 150 people from 30 families showed up in the emergency room and all ate turkey from your catering business then you might have a big problem.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:03 PM   #7
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

It's easy to avoid an insurance claim if properly cook, chill and hold your food. Keep records. If you do this regularly, buy a thermometer with a data logger. Prove the mistake wasn't on your end if you have records.
I've done this a few times. I will usually cook in a foil pan and wrap, preserving all the juices. I separate the fat from the au jus and return it to the pan with the bird, over-wrap with foil after chilled. The pan juices keep the bird moist during reheat.
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote