MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
Michigan BBQ Fan
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Scott
Default "Best" BBQ in Dallas ?!?!?!

If you had the chance to fly to Dallas and only eat BBQ for one meal at one place....where would that be?

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

!!!Welcome to the BBQ REVIVAL!!!
Michigan BBQ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2019, 01:36 AM   #2
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Hutchins (McKinney) for the AYCE. One meal doesn't mean one plate, and it helps that they do fantastic Q. :-)
Old 08-02-2019, 02:10 AM   #3
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Bucees in Denton ( =
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:10 AM   #4
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
Bucees in Denton ( =

Had to make a quick trip to San Antonio and stopped at the Bucees in Melissa, TX north of Dallas and got a brisket sandwich. Was pleasantly surprised at the taste/tender/texture/moisture of the meat and quantity as well. Bonus was the diesel was $2.29 that day. Next day on the return trip stopped at the one between San Antonio and Austin and thought I'd try it again. Nowhere near the same quality or quantity. Diesel was $2.59. Bathroom were clean.

Last year, I had the best breakfast burrito ever from the Bucees between Galveston and Houston. Next time, again different store and nowhere close.

Still love the concept of Bucees. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-02-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

Cattleack Barbecue hands down. The problem is they are only open for lunch on thursdays and fridays and the first saturday of every month. I tried to talk my wife into going this weekend but it's not going to pan out (We live about 2 hours away). On that first saturday of every month they cook whole hog.

There's a lot of other great places that have opened up recently especially in Ft. Worth that I haven't yet had a chance to check out.

Pecan Lodge is probably my all around favorite in the area even though it's not quite as good as Cattleack, it's a lot easier to get into. They do a great job of moving people through the line.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Pecan Lodge BBQ or Slow Bone BBQ in Dallas, Hutchins BBQ if you are inclined to drive North to McKinney or Frisco BUT..... Fort Worth is where all the new, hot BBQ smoke action is located. Panther City BBQ is Fantastic! Three 500 Gallon Moberg's going full steam ahead. They are building a Brick & Mortar restaurant, but for now serve out of a trailer with seating inside the bar next to the trailer. Also Heim BBQ (Two locations) Flores BBQ, and last but not least, Zavala's BBQ in Grand Prairie.
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #7
LYU370

I think one of the local news stations or local magazine was having a poll about the best BBQ in DFW. People started writing in 407BBQ up in Argyle and they won the first round of voting. Bryan cooks up some good que. I'll see if I can find a link.

Dallas Morning News poll. Round #2 https://www.guidelive.com/barbecue/2.../best-bbq-d-fw

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:56 AM   #8
Michigan BBQ Fan
Take a breath!

Ended up at Pecan Lodge. It was beyond amazing.

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

Old 08-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #9
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

I keep ending up at Lockhart Smokehouse in the Bishop Arts District... really need to try the Pecan Lodge next.

Any specific suggestions or just "get it all?"
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #10
Michigan BBQ Fan
Take a breath!

You can skip ahead in the line if you get 5# or more. I would do that and take tons home. They do have a "Trough" that I would get next time. I wanted to try the Beef Ribs but they were out. The brisket was SPOT ON and I could eat it all day. We went "standard" (coleslaw, mac n chz) for the sides and they were very good. Next time I might branch out and try and few others. The pork sausage was solid but next time I might try and Beef Cheddar Jap.

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

Old 08-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #11
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Dallas Proper? IDK
Plano: Lockhart's
Euless: North Main BBQ (AYCE)
Old 08-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #12
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Cattleack is my favorite in Dallas proper. I'd happily drive a little to the east and eat at Slaughter's BBQ Oasis or Ernie's any day, though.

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #13
Bill Fuentes
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Tito

I found a place by accident, had some folks coming over to office from London and our admin ordered from this place and it was actually a hit - it was dang good and we started rolling out there for take out when ever we could get up their way - there are tons of great places popping up - when is the bubble going to burst ? - http://www.meatuanywhere.com/ I've done all the BBQ trail and tried a bunch of Q and these boys are hanging in there. (of course I like central Texas style - Salt/ Pepper/ Oak/Butcher Paper/ Steel& Smoke) The Jalapeno Bacon Mac and Cheese was a deal sealer. Strange name, great Q
Old 09-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #14
IamMadMan

I always try to visit North Main BBQ in Euless (a suburb of Fort Worth). They open at 11:00 and close when they run out of food. It's owned by Hubert Green who is a friend of a friend, always had a great meal there.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #15
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I always try to visit North Main BBQ in Euless (a suburb of Fort Worth). They open at 11:00 and close when they run out of food. It's owned by Hubert Green who is a friend of a friend, always had a great meal there.
That was my first taste of Texas BBQ. I missed a connecting flight and American Airlines gave me a one-way voucher for a cab. I asked the agent where I could get good BBQ, and she pointed me to North Main.

When I got there, I was like a lost dog in a meat house. Pork Butt, sausages, slaw, brisket, white bread and iced tea. All for $10 (this was a while back).

Sat down at a community table, and people asked where I was from. When I said, "California", the place went silent. I said, "But I'm a Cowboys fan!" and the place erupted with laughter.

As I went back for my third plate, I mentioned to the cashier that I felt bad, and the owner must be losing money. He said, "Don't worry. I'm doing o.k". He was C.J., the founder of North Main BBQ.

I wish I had spent more time talking to him, because the next time I got out there, he had passed away.